Creating a backup usb install for Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oraclewizard77, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Well, the computer decided to just upgrade me to Windows 1903 when I woke up and did not let me use it for 2 hours. I never gave it permission to install the update.

The good news is it actually worked without forcing me to do a clean install and reinstall my apps.

#131     Nov 20, 2019
  2. I believe on the business versions of Windows 10, you can in fact use a group policy to delay updates so this will not happen to workers at a company who are getting paid per hour.

#132     Nov 20, 2019
  3. Well, sometimes it's really good to have 2 computers if something goes wrong with one of them, you can still connect to the Internet to figure it out on the other.

So, after I logged on to my main trading computer, there was a black screen. So I decided to press the power button to shut it off, and log in using a different account, still black screen.

So I checked for a solution using a laptop, it says especially after an update Windows 10 may log you into a black screen which according to the article may be scary. The solution is to press ctl-alt-del and choose restart PC which did in fact work.

Of course, you will never know to do this unless you read it here 1st or have another computer to search for the answer. LOL. F U MS. The quality control for these updates is lacking. Never had this issue till u forced me to upgrade which Apple never does on their Iphone.

#133     Dec 22, 2019
  4. Good idea to consider "delay updates". Can go up to 1 year on "feature/new versions" and 35 days on other. (Recently did a fresh install on one machine and had to accept 1903, but on my older machine I'm still on 1809 with a 1-year delay. However, I haven't found problems yet on the 1903.)

Unless there is a screaming threat urgency, I don't do updates "as they appear". I'm not interested in new bells and whistles/features. I just want W10 to run and to run my software. The delay gives MS time to work out any bugs before I have to put my machines at risk installing updates.

My $.02

#134     Dec 24, 2019
    sprstpd likes this.
  5. Every so often, I lose my connection to the Internet.

There steps may help.

1) Make sure power management for your network adapters is unchecked, this may get reactivated on an update.

2) Make sure you have the latest drivers.

3) You can also trouble shoot problems after clicking on your Wifi icon on bottom right coner.

4) If you are in the middle of something and want it to connect faster, you can unplug the USB wireless network adapter and then plug it back in.

#135     Dec 28, 2019
  6. apdxyk

apdxyk

Check your router. Some firmware updates on cheapo consumer grade routers do that, and it may take a lifetime for a lay consumer to figure that out...

#136     Jan 24, 2020
  7. Thanks I will check it but I did update my router not that long ago. Also, after the last patch my time on PC will no longer sync. There is no information from Microsoft to fix this issue. So I guess I will wait for another major Windows update to see if it's fixed. As a work around solution I have manually set time and am ordering a new BIOS battery since the computer is old.

#137     Jan 24, 2020
  8. apdxyk

apdxyk

That's exactly what may have been a factor.

Most weird behaviour has been observed on a number of 'latest updates' on the netgears, siscos, asuse and other carp in typical use. I had once had to roll a router firewall firmware back to verify the weirdest changes in connectivity after trying adapters/drivers/OSes. After that updated again to the latest one and reset it several times: it's functioning normally now. How's that for engineering?
    And don't get me started on what they refer to as 'firewall'.

Too many variables in what is constantly being built by taking shortcuts.

#138     Jan 24, 2020
    oraclewizard77 likes this.
  9. I have fixed some other issues:

1) Sometimes the cable to the modem becomes lose. If this happens, turn off the modem. Totally unplug the cable wait 20 secs, then screw it back in.

3) If you have other wlan network adapters besides your usb wireless one for the desktop, disable them in device manager.

4) If you have the tap windows adapter v9, uninstall it. This is a Windows adapter for VPN connections. If you have a private VPN which you should use for certain things either reinstall it, or even better choose upgrade to get the latest version. I use a paid version called Private Internet Access which I just need to make a yearly payment. After I upgraded the software, they installed their own VPN network adapter which is better than this Windows one. If you do need to use the Windows version, then just reinstall it. However, the Windows version can become corrupted and cause connection issues. Also, its not needed if you don't use a VPN.

#139     Jan 29, 2020
  10. Was getting some issues on Spectrum watch TV on my computer connected to wifi. I called them, and they suggested I go to a Spectrum store and get their new DocSis 3.1 modem.

I plan on doing this, since I read another post that says companies like Spectrum no longer want to upgrade firmware for customers that use their own modems.

Also, I was able to get chrome working again after reading the information on the following site to enable flash.

https://www.howtogeek.com/434334/how-to-enable-adobe-flash-in-google-chrome-76/

#140     Feb 15, 2020