Creating a backup usb install for Windows 10 upgrade

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by oraclewizard77, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Note to be able to login to your apple ID without having to remember security questions do the following:

1) On your Iphone, setup two step verification in settings and make sure you have or already have a recovery e-mail address.

2) It will ask for your current Iphone phone number, put it in and never change it.

3) Use the pin you use to login to your iphone.

Now when you go to login to your apple id after typing your password, it will send a code to your Iphone which you can then enter into the website.

#141     Feb 15, 2020
  2. I found that certain annoying events will run on the computer. You can disable or delete them under Task Scheduler.

#142     Apr 19, 2020
  3. Well after a Windows update my time was no longer working automatically.

I clicked run services.msc and saw that Windows Time was greyed out and set to manual.

After a few weeks I was able to solve this problem:

The main problem is obviously Windows Time will not start since its set to manual and greyed out.

However, I finally devised a solution. Click Run, then type Regedit.

Go to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time

Modify the Start dword and change the value to 2.

Restart your computer. While Windows time service is still grey out, we have been able to finally start it.

Now go to Date / Time by right clicking your time on bottom right corner. And then click Adjust date/time. Then set time automatic and time zone automatic.

You may and will then see a spinning blue circle as Windows 10 is using all of your CPU's power to change the time to automatic. Give it some time to complete the operation. It may take up to 5 min even if you have custom built gaming machine. However, it will in fact finish and your time will now be automatic and working again.

So this solution of changing the start value may and probably will work with any greyed out service that you need to start.

#143     Jul 14, 2020
    userque likes this.
  4. I have one of my computers farther away from my wireless router. To force it to use the 2.4 GHz range, I changed properties in the network card. Hopefully, this will help solve problems with my disconnects.

Obviously, if your computer or laptop is closer to your wireless router and the wireless router is newer with AC and you have for example, a newer USB wireless network card for your computer I would force it to use 5 GHZ which is a faster standard.

#144     Jul 20, 2020
  5. So much simpler to just install Ubuntu or Mint. It is insane how much crap you have to go through with WinDOHs.

#145     Jul 20, 2020
    oraclewizard77 and chisel like this.
  6. I found out that if use a paid VPN like Private Internet Access, it actually improves my connection for trading and gaming.

https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/why-need-a-vpn-for-gaming/

I am having issues where it seems that I am getting disconnected. Obviously, this could also be how far my computer is from the wireless router. However, I am now getting improvement and security by using this VPN. At 1st my download speed was actually slower, but then I choose a city closer to where I actually live and now its faster.

#146     Jul 30, 2020
  7. Was doing an Iphone update from PC and the update did not work. It said I need to do restore, and the restore did not work.

So I rebooted both the Iphone and PC. I then used a new Iphone cable and plugged it to a different usb port in back of PC.

Finally, the restore worked, and I then had to restore from backup to get all the applications back. I then synced the music to get the music back.

I think some of these update issues have to do with either the cable or usb port. So for future, I will backup the Iphone before doing an update, then download the update directly to the Iphone and update it that way.

#147     Jul 31, 2020
  8. TP-Link AC750 WiFi Extender | Covers Up to 1200 Sq.ft and 20 Devices Up to 750Mbps| Dual Band WiFi Range Extender | WiFi Booster to Extend Range of WiFi Internet Connection (RE220)

So the above did seem to help. To prove it works, do a speed test before you have it up and running. Then after restarting the router and computer do another test. I did achieve a higher speed and a little better connection.

Another way to get this device to work is to connect an Ethernet cable from your computer to the Extender. Then in Microsoft Edge type in 192.168.0.254 to connect to it. You may need to reset the the device by plugging a pin into it before you do this if you it was working and stopped working.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    #148     Aug 3, 2020
  9. Battle.net from Blizzard is causing lag. To help with this issue, I did the following.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/34721

Windows
    1. Close open Blizzard programs.
    2. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager.
    3. Click the Processes tab.
    4. If agent.exe is running—or Blizzard Update Agent in Windows 10—select it and click End Process.
    5. Navigate to the folder containing the cache directory:
      1. Press Windows Key+R to open the Run dialogue.
      2. Type %ProgramData% into the Run field and press Enter.
    6. If a Blizzard Entertainment folder exists in the directory, right-click it and select Delete.
    7. Restart the Battle.net desktop app and relaunch the game.
    I also keep Battle.net closed now whereas before I let the process run all day.

#149     Aug 4, 2020
  10. Blizzard said to uncheck hardware acceleration for the Battle.net, which I did, but still plan not to have it running.

#150     Aug 5, 2020