Crude flash crash about 15 mins ago... scary

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by BrandNewTrader, Aug 22, 2017.

1. just21

just21

Agree, from West Africa look at option positions for multiple days.

#11     Aug 22, 2017
  2. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    #12     Aug 22, 2017
  3. Handle123

Handle123

Most stops on platform stay on your computer, which means you would not been stopped out, and why some of those who have systems, rent on the cloud technology as it has never stopped, whereas where I live, we have electric stoppages and internet goes dead. Yes, I have redundancy, but cloud is nearer to exchanges and always open.

And a quarter is a yawn.

#13     Aug 22, 2017
    beginner66 and murray t turtle like this.
  4. vanzandt

vanzandt

What does "most" mean?
    They either do or they don't.
    Every broker I have ever dealt with receives them as an order and they are stored on their computer. People put them in, log off and go on about their day.
    I think you're wrong on this one Handle.

#14     Aug 22, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. algofy

algofy

Lol 25 cent "flash crash", the drama queens around here.!

#15     Aug 22, 2017
    murray t turtle and Overnight like this.
  6. doggyfx

doggyfx

exceeding μ ± 3σ is less than 0.3% but.. here somebody gets SL :)
    Market is an excellent example why taking statistics as a basis can result in blow out.

#16     Aug 22, 2017
  7. Overnight

Overnight

Looked back over my charts and don't see evidence of any rapid move, so it was most likely a blip in your data feed.

The arrow shows the price at bar close at 4:30 AM ET, and the next bar to the right closed 25 minutes later. That includes the time you're talking about based on the timestamp of your post and subtracting 15 minutes. The lines point to price. As you can see by the range it wasn't drastic, and in fact up, not down. (It is Oct CL, and Sep CL shows the same "normalcy").

clflash.JPG

#17     Aug 22, 2017
  8. %%
    Sounds right; but i think Handle is right on the .25 yawn.Even though, coming out of the shopping center this month, someone had dropped/lost a nickel[ $00.05]+ it was stuck/fixed on bubble gum. So i pulled out my key chain + levered it off.LOL:caution:

And even though its a different market/cash market.......[stocks] IBD says ''do not quibble over a quarter[ $00.25] + miss the move'':cool:

#18     Aug 22, 2017
  9. vanzandt

vanzandt

Most people won't stop to pick up a penny. I think most would a quarter. I wonder if the day will ever come when people won't pick up a dollar bill. Along those lines, I wonder what percentage of the general population right now would walk by a $1 bill on the ground and not pick it up. Probably pretty low. That would make an interesting study.

#19     Aug 22, 2017
  10. Overnight

Overnight

I performed a mental experiment once about the "pick up a penny" thing, using my own experience as a baseline measurement.

It takes me 2 seconds to see a penny, bend down, and pick it up. This translates to $0.30 per minute, which is $18/hour.

$18/hour picking up pennies. This is a good ROI on the energy expended, I reckon'.

#20     Aug 22, 2017