Crude Oil

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by JFonseca, Apr 4, 2020.

1. JFonseca

JFonseca

Hi,

I believe that Crude Oil needs to go back to 40USD, sooner or later. The problem is that it can take 6 or more months. I also believe it cannot fall bellow 10USD. I am trying to figure out how I can best put this theory into practice...

I have been playing with WisdomTree WTI Crude Oil 2x Daily Leveraged (Loi.L). I bought at 3,15; 3,60 and 4,20 - averaging at 3,90. If the meeting goes well I can see my return earlier than I thought, but if it goes wrong I believe CL will return to 20USD or less and I will need to wait a few months. My concern is that this being a 2X leveraged ETF, even if I am right and at the end of the year Oil is at 40USD I might not see any profit due to the nature of the ETF and the effects of volatility. Is my concern about this ETF justified?

I have at the moment around 10k in Loi.L. How would you play this? Any alternative way to invest in Oil? I don’t like Oil companies because they decline as much as oil when it comes down and do not follow when oil goes up.

Thanks,
    Joaquim

2. I think it will rise too.

Unfortunately for some stupid reason I decided to buy futures that will cause me to lose $14k if CLV20 drops to 32, and an additional $7k every point drop after that. So if it goes to 28, I'm down $42k!!!

My advice. Don't do that.

David Taylor likes this.
  3. I believe they will bring it back down to 20 before they let it go back up again.

4. Overnight

Overnight

Remember, yer only going to lose it if you sell it. If you can hang on for the ride with the huge capital in your account, then do so.

5. I underestimated the amount of capital I would need. I would begin to margin call at about 33. I would lose it all If I don't bring more in at about 26.9.

6. Overnight

Overnight

I guess I just cannot get why you would jump into CL with 7 contracts during such a volatile period. I mean, CL was up in the 60s 2 months ago. You've seen the movement since then.

You could always hedge it intra-style by shorting 7 contracts in, say, Nov CL. Yer locking in a loss at the current print, but at least you won't lose more. AND, your performance bond requirements will drop to nil.

7. I can't afford to short anything. I'm maxed out at my margin. Honestly, at the time I was just watching it by eye and planning to close out if it hit a few thousand profit. I was being very foolish. Didn't even realize the end of the trading day (and week!) was approaching.

8. Overnight

Overnight

I thought you said margin was not a problem for you? Which broker do you use?

9. Charles Schwab.

I didn't think it would be because I thought it would be unlikely to hit its all-time low of March 18th given the 2.5 week bull run since then.

But now I hear about all this OPEC meeting stuff and that it's set to tank on Monday.

10. CLV 20 is 34.24 what price did u buy at? You know u can always sell CLX20 at same size or whatever ratio and reduce your margin immediately and protect from downside
    If let’s say u have 7 long and sell 5 short u still make money on upside but don’t loose as much on downside and can help u get out without being in panic

#10     Apr 4, 2020
    yc47ib likes this.