DeFi - going bankless

Discussion in 'Crypto Assets' started by Sprout, Sep 1, 2020.

1. johnarb

johnarb

I get overwhelmed by Telegram, I go there once in a while... Discord is like Slack so I'm kinda used to it. Slack is like irc but gui.

#81     Oct 17, 2020
  2. johnarb

johnarb

Alpha leak or nah? I think LGE2 core/wBtc LP tokens will have a higher APY than the existing core/eth LP tokens. I contributed to LGE2 today.

Core LGE2 started 20 hours ago with 6 days and 4 hours left. In the first hour, it received about a million $ worth of deposits and has slowed down. There are 180+ Core tokens and 90+ wbtc tokens in the LGE2, each is worth $1.1+ million, total $2.2M+ current deposits in the LGE2.

Why do I think the APY will be higher for this core/wbtc? It's because the size of the LP will probably be much smaller than the original core/eth LP which currently has 2500+ core tokens.

There's still over 6 days left in LGE2 and anything's possible, but because the current price of core is very high compared to its market price during LGE1, the amount of $ deposits needed to get even 1000 core tokens (and the corresponding 500 wbtc's) will also be very high, jmho.

#82     Oct 18, 2020
  3. johnarb

johnarb

I think the $core project is very interesting, but as I already mentioned, I'm not risking too much into this 1 investment. Can't let emotions cloud our risk management. The only reason this has exceeded the 10% portfolio allocation is because it has gone up a lot since I bought in but I did sell 1 core when it first pumped to lower my cost-basis. I added more capital for the LGE2, but nothing crazy.

333 Crypto DeFi YouTuber seems to have drank the koolaid and might just possibly be overinvested on this project, I think he'll do well, but I am biased, "this truly is once in a lifetime" :banghead: [​IMG] [​IMG]

If it follows the pattern of LGE1, most of the deposits will come in on the last 2 days.

The unique Advantages of Liquidity Generation Events

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/cvault-finance/

#83     Oct 20, 2020
    Sprout likes this.
  4. johnarb

johnarb

An update post and personal observation of DeFi cryptos....

DeFi Crypto sector continues to be beaten like the red-headed stepchild. I might have messed that up, but esl is my excuse.

Doesn't help that (relatively long running) DeFi project Harvest $farm was recently hacked/exploited.

My only position in pure DeFi is $core which just ended the LGE2, and it performed exactly like any trading market (much to our disappointment), "buy the rumor, sell the news", core pumped to over $7200/core a day or so before end of LGE2 and dumped to less than $4K/core after LGE2, it's currently trading at ~$4K/core. I did not do anything, still holding and staking LP1 and LP2 tokens and also holding $core tokens.

As anyone following this thread and investing in DeFi cryptos, we have to do our our own dd. There's no investment advice here on ET. I do wish that we are all profitable or at least, lose less and not blow up our accounts.

As I posted a few weeks ago, I "derisked" and concentrated on 3 crypto holdings which continue to do well. I can't read charts, but something did not feel right with my DeFi holdings, price-action wise and when I looked around, all other DeFi cryptos were behaving similarly.

Anyway, to the point of this TL;DR post, please be careful and review the lessons from "reminiscences of a stock operator", don't get blown up or shaken out of your cryptos.

We're about to enter the next crypto bull market cycle and it's important that we do not miss this. I've been fortunate to have experienced late 2013 crypto bull market and late 2017 crypto bull market cycles and $40K bitcoin top price estimate from JPM for the next bull market cycle is low, imho.

• “Money is made by sitting, not trading.”
    • “It was never my thinking that made the big money for me, it always was sitting.”

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    #84     Oct 26, 2020
    Snarkhund and They like this.
  5. johnarb

johnarb

Sorry to necro-bump this defi thread, but came across of what I think is an interesting project, which only started recently and if judged by the price, doing very well

Badger DAO, ticker symbol Badger, issued a rebase token that is btc-pegged, called Digg. I only got in yesterday and got the effect of a positive rebase on my Digg holding at 3PM EST (daily rebase schedule}

[positive rebase is an expansion of coin supply as reflected by the amount increase in all the wallets holding Digg tokens as long as Digg is priced above the btc price. Negative rebase is the opposite]

AMPL was very profitable last year for me when I was in the coin for 3 weeks of positive rebases

Badger DAO has close to a billion $ of TVL (total value locked) on the platform, yet the market cap is about $75M, currently. TVL is similar to AUM

Disclosure: I own both Badger and Digg since yesterday

https://app.badger.finance/

https://cointelegraph.com/news/wen-now-badgerdao-s-synthetic-rebasing-bitcoin-digg-goes-live

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/badger-dao/

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/digg/

#85     Jan 26, 2021
    Sprout and mt2rules like this.
  6. johnarb

johnarb

Update on Badger and Digg

Badger doing well since my post I got in at $16-17 on Badger which is currently $42+

Digg not doing so well. Hard to quantify based on price alone as it's a rebase token, but in short summary, my Digg position is worth a little less than half

Treated as a combined pfolio position, Badger & Digg as a whole is very close to a double in 5 days.

The reason I'm updating is for Defi players who need to be aware of risks when investing in Defi projects

The reason Badger's market cap of $100M is so low given its TVL of over $1.2B is because it's a young project, and also there are risks around admin key and lack of timelock

It's amazing that the team (some are anons) has not rug pulled and taken most of the $1.2B and disappeared, my guess is that they're already "very rich" (in cryptos from previous projects or even parallel projects).

Hope this BIP-33 (Badger Improvement Protocol) gets implemented and could bring more upside to the project

I always invest with money that I can afford to lose, especially in DeFi. Best way to get information on these risks is to be active on the communications channels for these projects, most of them will have a Discord (preferred imo) or Telegram. Also a good idea to monitor the Twitter feeds of the devs and the project itself.

Good luck and be safe in your crypto investments

https://forum.badger.finance/t/bip-33-phase-1-of-decentralizing-badger-dao/2607

#86     Feb 1, 2021
    Sprout and easymon1 like this.
  7. mt2rules

mt2rules

Wow, defi is getting hammered tonight! BTC, ETH and LTC are holding up much better. Looks like a great opportunity to be picking up stuff like AAVE, COMP, UNI, and BAND on the cheap!

#87     Feb 14, 2021
    Sprout and johnarb like this.
  8. johnarb

johnarb

Hey, this thread got bumped so putting an update on Badger and Digg and closure update on Core and LP tokens

Digg got the 11th positive rebase today! it's like stock dividend of 2-3% every single day for 11 days. Investment was down over 50% on the last update and is now positive 77%

Badger is nice, was always positive. Traded 25% of position 3 days ago to Binance Smart Chain Defi token project called Venus $XVS

Badger and Digg made up for losses on Core LP1 and LP2 tokens that were sold for losses, even though made $ on Core tokens, losses on LP1 and LP2 tokens were much more

Rebalanced Digg & Badger to have a 40/60 value ratio today

Bloody massacre on BTC and alts today... hodl

#88     Feb 15, 2021
    Sprout likes this.
  9. johnarb

johnarb

Yea, bitcoin btc dumped about $3K in a short time ($45.9K) before bouncing back to $47K but now below $47K again

Alts are going down more in % terms and Defi even more so. Only 2 coins in my portfolio are positive last 24 hours (BNB and XVS)

good time to btfd or hodl, imho

#89     Feb 15, 2021
    mt2rules likes this.
  10. Sprout

Sprout

Maybe this microcap will help you get that Tesla. @johnarb

#90     Feb 18, 2021