Defining a Strong vs Weak Trend

Discussion in 'Trading' started by metatrader54, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Nice chart, you can tell at the end of the chart the trend is weakening.

#21     Jul 12, 2019
  2. I would have traded the first half and second half of the chart differently. But still nice charts.

#22     Jul 12, 2019
  3. Agreed, I actually took a long at the last pullback and took profits at the peak before CPI came out.

#23     Jul 12, 2019
  4. From a mathematical and signal processing perspective,
    Left has a higher signal to noise ratio...
    Right has a steeper slope...

From a financial engineering perspective, lower variance (left) is often preferred.
    Lower reward, but lower risk. Think portfolio diversification.

Many traders like high risk/reward/variance trades (e.g. extreme gaps).

Depends on your definition of stronger.

Either way, both are purely theoretical constructs.
    Not much to draw any strong conclusions.

#24     Jul 12, 2019
    beginner66 likes this.
  5. Strong positive trend was defined as:
    1. price above daily pivot
    2. positive A/D
    3. 5 ema/above 20 ema on 15 min chart
    4. 5 ema/above 20 ema on 1 hr chart
    5. 5 ema/above 20 ema on daily chart

but it is impossible IMO to formulate a strategy based on the above unless it is sustained and that cannot be assessed in real time.

#25     Jul 12, 2019
  6. bone

bone

Golden nuggets:

1. Use longer sampling timeframes when you are modeling for trend, and

2. In a Bullish market, you want to see higher highs and higher lows. Conversely in a Bearish market, you want to see lower lows and lower highs.

3. For maximum resolution - always check the Weekly. Sometimes I even use the Monthly. Model in multiple time frames. Always.

#26     Jul 12, 2019
    tommcginnis and murray t turtle like this.
  7. %%
    Exactly, since its same time frame.Stable or orderly trends like SPY almost never make what QQQ does.
    My comments do not apply to bitcon; fundamentals do matter, even on a daily chart. Stocks/ETFs never move like oil on WED. May enter/exit the weaker left trend with less slippage; not a prediction, not long TSLA or DB:D:D, :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

#27     Jul 12, 2019
  8. %%
    Sounds like a hint for fundamentals, not near as helpful as price. Stocks/ETFs never move like oil on WED....................................................................................................:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

#28     Jul 12, 2019
  9. birdman

birdman

I apologize for straying a bit from the original post. I'm curious to know what rule of thumb others use ... how quickly after the open (on average) they wait before determining a short term trend is established ... say 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc? I know it varies, but i keep trying to nail down a best number :) Thanks for your comments.

#29     Jan 13, 2020