DIY Computer monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hunter2020, Apr 13, 2022.

1. I'm totally fed up with desktop computer monitors (see my other thread on crappy Lenovo monitors) for trading purposes.

I think that the only criterium of what I consider a good trading monitor would be if I enjoy watching 1080p movies on the monitor, then I will pretty much enjoy doing everything else on it.

Try enjoying 1080p videos on 21.5 inch FHD and 23.8 inch QHD. Yuck yuck yuck!

Then, the other day I went back to my 15.6 inch HD (1366x768) laptop circa 2012 and OMG I had forgotten how gorgeous 1080p movies look on it.

There is a concept in gaming call super-resolution where you generate the game image at 4K but display the image on a 1080p screen. Same thing when I watch 1080p in 1366x768, I'm employing super-resolution.

Apparently the industry thought 1080p movies look good on WXGA screens (1366x768 aka HD) and they were right!

The PROBLEM is, my friggin laptop uses PWM dimming. Oy! I noticed Acer Aspire 5740 laptop doesn't do PWM dimming. So, I'm trying to make a DIY 1366x768 15.6 inch monitor from parts I'm collecting on eBay based on that Acer laptop. I will be using a generic screen of course, not the original genuine which is discontinued by now. Jjust hope I don't get a screen with PWM.

If anyone knows exactly a 15.6 inch HD (not FHD) laptop screen (new) on eBay that doesn't do PWM dimming, plz let me know...

2. TheDawn

TheDawn

When you want quality monitors, you do NOT buy them from Lenovo. LOL Lenovo is cheap knock-off's. Besides the IBM machines that they inherited from IBM, they are not known for quality especially not in computer monitors.

Quality monitors are Sony, LG, Samsung, ASUS and etc...

stochastix likes this.
  3. Maybe you should consider going more modern. 43", UHD TV makes an all-around excellent monitor for trading or watching movies.

rb7 likes this.
  4. d08

d08

ASUS monitors are garbage. I bought mine some 6 years ago, developed issues right when the warranty ended, weird glow in the corners when starting up. Then developed vertical lines in the middle of the screen recently. Tried to open it up today to see if a quick fix is possible (loose cable?), broke it completely as it's designed to be fixed at all.

Avoid ASUS monitors, will not buy them ever again.

Samsungs I have from 2009 are still going strong. They cost a bit more but it's worth it.

5. d08

d08

TV monitors are low resolution and not meant to be used as displays,

DevBru, SunTrader and virtusa like this.
  6. virtusa

virtusa

7. Bought an LG 15.6 inch 1366x768 laptop screen from eBay. That's the one compatible with the Acer laptop in post above that I personally confirmed doesn't have PWM. I'm just crossing my fingers the panel I just bought also doesn't do PWM. PWM sucks big time!

I never knew it only costs $30 USD for the complete electronics (controller) kit to drive a laptop LCD screen complete with remote control and all the input types (except USB-C) you can ever throw at it.

8. TheDawn

TheDawn

Unless you have those 4K Smart TV's.

9. ET180

ET180

I bought two ASUS ProArt 27" QHD monitors about a year and a half ago. I'm very happy with them. Only issue that I have is that my HP 840 G5 laptop which is connected to them via a docking station and display port sometimes has trouble connecting initially. I usually have to turn one or both monitors from standby to off, and back on again to get it to sync up. Rarely, I will dock the laptop and I cannot get it to connect with the monitors until after reboot. I'm running the latest graphics drivers. Suspect the issue is either the laptop, cables (cables are only 6 ft long so doubt that), or perhaps the docking station was not designed to handle QHD output.

10. d08

d08

Thanks, and so:

At 55", 4K is not that great. A 27" monitor with FHD (1920x1080) has better PPI than than a 55" 4K TV and 27" FHD monitor is quite bad for writing code or trading or anything to do with text and details.

#10     Apr 14, 2022