Do ib orders go to another server other than market data server?

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by emk662, Nov 20, 2021.

1. emk662

emk662

Hi, my current connection is to its cdc1, in Chicago. But a network traffic view shows, it is also connected to ndc1. Do its orders go to another server other than market data server?

2. Yes, IB uses multiple servers, for dedicated tasks.

trendmomentum likes this.
  3. emk662

emk662

Well, following the documentation, TWS connection to US central is cdc1.ibllc.com and its back up is cdc1_hb1.ibllc.com. But why is ndc1.ibllc.com showing up here in the network traffic? Thanks.

4. As has already been said IB operates lots of servers for different tasks. A lot more than they mention in this PDF. Just open TWS and go to Help > Data Connections to see where your current session is connected to.

5. Interactive Broker's primary servers are in Greenwich, Connecticut.

For reference, our NYC servers have a 1ms latency to ndc1.ibllc.com in Connecticut

upload_2021-11-21_17-20-36.png

6. emk662

emk662

I mainly trade CME S&P future contracts. The connection table is enclosed. Currently the IB server is cdc1, and should I request to move to ndc1 for lower latency? I can choose a VPS nearby. Thanks.

7. cdc1_hb1.ibllc.com is also in Greenwich, Connecticut.

For example, cdc1_hb1.ibllc.com translates to IP address 64.190.197.40, and here is the location: https://dnschecker.org/ip-location.php?ip=64.190.197.40

cdc1_hb1.ibllc.com and ndc1.ibllc.com both resolve to the same IP address.

Pinging cdc1_hb1.ibllc.com from our Chicago servers, it has a 25ms latency, which is consistent with Chicago to Connecticut times.

upload_2021-11-21_21-51-24.png

8. emk662

emk662

Can you tell me what those names stand for? Such as HDMS, Aux services, and primary. Thanks.

Also, will it better to reduce latency by using ndc1 instead of cdc1? Thanks.

9. (*) secdef relates to securities definitions, such as contract details for all instruments (e.g. stocks, futures, etc)
    (*) hmds stands for historical data management service. These are data farms that can deliver historical price data. They have this for USA, Europe, Asia.
    (*) market data farms provide live market data (i.e. streaming market data). They use multiple of those, for various categories of instruments (e.g. US futures, options, forex)
    (*) my guess is that with Primary they define the server which holds your account information.

#10     Nov 22, 2021