Do you think this is the truth about day trading?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Ates, Dec 9, 2020.

Do you think this is true?

1. Yes

59.3%
  2. No

33.3%
  3. Not sure

7.4%
  1. speedo

speedo

Sorry for the confusion, yes trading is a different animal to many other difficult endeavors.

#11     Dec 9, 2020
  2. bone

bone

Trading is indeed different than many other difficult endeavors. There is a very different art and gamesmanship quality to it.

#12     Dec 9, 2020
    KDASFTG, comagnum and cafeole like this.
  3. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

The researchers had suspected that the increasing presence of high-frequency trading firms would also be detrimental to traders’ success. But, though they found that this was the case, they controlled < accounted? for the presence of HFTs and found no increase in traders’ profitability over time.

i think the brazilian who wrote the article needs some interpretation help.

anyway how dumb this article is but i like it kinda serves my purpose. daytrading "and i have been doing it since the sp was below 200" has never been better than now wtf. candy assess have no idea how good you have it, with direct access, fast feeds, low latency, dom's, cheap clearing etc. but what has not progressed is the human mind, it's more dumb than ever. i can not tell you how dumb most traders are because your too ignorant to comprehend just how dumb you are. the smarter people try and look actually the dumber they in fact are.

intelligence is trumped by experience, which takes hard work and the lack of effort is why most traders are in fact dumb. hft is the best thing that has ever happened to the markets for all traders, i would prove it to you but that would be compromising my edge.

"hell exist" "it's living on a planet full of lazy dumb people"

#13     Dec 9, 2020
    trader99, Grantx, Axon and 1 other person like this.
  4. interdim

interdim

Let me clarify my point...Whether you are a long term investor, day trader, swing trader, scalper, or any other type of trader, unless you have fairly sophisticated data models, probabilities are you are going to be a net loser, or have very mediocre returns over time. Yes there are very successful traders in every category but a very small percent. My comments were in support of what Maxinger said. It really doesn't matter what time frame or how you decide to trade, the overall results are going to be the same for everyone, mediocre returns or net loser unless you fall into that very small percent.

#14     Dec 9, 2020
  5. tiddlywinks

tiddlywinks

That's a bit stereo-typical imo.

The inverse of your statement is likely more accurate... success in other demanding professions is not indicative of success at trading.

Important to note as well, (retail) trading is for most a solo endeavor. Which is not necessarily the case with other demanding professions.

#15     Dec 9, 2020
    canoe, tomorton and cafeole like this.
  6. tomorton

tomorton

Day-trading gets a bad reputation because its heavily promoted to the ignorant, who jump straight in and never get to take it seriously.

But bad reputation doesn't mean bad by nature.

#16     Dec 9, 2020
    yc47ib likes this.
  7. cafeole

cafeole

I totally agree. When I was looking at day/swing trading, I assumed that since I had success in very technical professions then I should also be successful in trading. The books I read confirmed for me. The hype sucked me in.

#17     Dec 9, 2020
    tomorton likes this.
  8. snowman80

snowman80

your experience has made you wiser and now you can detect general, vague bullshit regurgitated day after day in an effort to sucker people in and sell them a bag of turds

#18     Dec 9, 2020
    MarkBrown and cafeole like this.
  9. TimMykes

TimMykes

i dont even read garbage like this anymore

#19     Dec 9, 2020
    MorningStar likes this.
  10. cafeole

cafeole

It also cost me a lot money.

The problem is with the disclaimers. The good guys have to put them in, the bad guys hide behind them.

#20     Dec 9, 2020