Does the time formation of candlesticks matter for a trader?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Amatrue, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Amatrue

Amatrue

Lets say you trade 15 minute candlesticks and they form at 1:10pm, 1:25pm, 1:40pm, 1:55pm, 2:10pm, etc, instead of the usual 1:00pm, 1:15pm, 1:30pm, 1:45pm. Do you think this would have an effect on your ability to read price action or be unsynchronized with the market? Would there be an edge in using odd timeframes that people usually don't study like 7mins, 18mins, 48mins?

murray t turtle and Dollardogs like this.
  2. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Little bit of each, but not consistent or enough to make a difference. All the people who can really read them can put them together in their head on the fly. The only real problem is longer time frames, AFTER they complete, are opaque. So you got no visibility into them unless you look at the shorter time frames.

KCalhoun likes this.
  3. KCalhoun

KCalhoun

Smart thinking, good question but I don't see an edge since many of us use 1minute charts, plus much is HFT driven.

I do use irregular non obvious prices to enter, that's edge.

4. Turveyd

Turveyd

You wouldn't be reading what everyone else trading M15 might be seeing, which following them might be an edge, but many different TF's and other ways to read the market, don't think Candles drive the market either and don't see anything in candle reading, so I'm going to go no difference.

5. Trader Curt

Trader Curt

It's all the same thing.

d08 and tomorton like this.
  6. userque

userque

No. You'll just be getting a different reading, if you are reading the patterns themselves. That doji you saw at 12:15 may not be there after the time shift.
    As long as your clock is correct, you'll be in sync with the market.
    You'll be out of sync with your original system. How much of an effect this would have, I don't know; nor would I guess, nor ask others to guess. I'd test it out.
    I'd test your system, on the data you'll be trading, in order to answer that.

7. easymon1

easymon1

Why not look at a week of charts for each? Get a sketch of whether worth more effort.
    How are you adjusting your candle start time?

8. speedo

speedo

Institutions and their programs move the markets. It is of little to no benefit to be paying attention to that which they are not. We retailers make money by tagging along with the big money, not by out guessing them. Put up a 5 minute chart and note where it closes. That tells you who is in charge at that point in time. If price is ranging, wait until someone takes charge unless you are a skilled scalper and the range is wide enough re risk/reward, but that is not for the beginner.

murray t turtle and Amatrue like this.
  9. Fonz

Fonz

This is how I realized that intra day prices are no noise. Being able to see on a chart the representation of prices differently (than what is usually taught) was the beginning of my understanding of the short term moves.
    Next step could be trying to see what happens with other time frames, other kind of candlesticks or no time based candlesticks. You could study them in connection with the chart that you are now the most comfortable with.
    Best!

10. Dollardogs

Dollardogs

That's intriguing, could I ask you to say a bit more about how you define a non-obvious price?

#10     Jan 25, 2021