Does this graph make sense for AAPL bid ask spread?

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by jabowery, Feb 1, 2021.

1. jabowery

jabowery

I'm attempting to construct minute aggregated bid/ask spreads from the IEX TOPS data. To check my work I plotted AAPL to see if it makes sense. The green trace is ask, the orange is bid. As a cross-check I included a blue trace for close from the chart API.

Correct me if I'm wrong but what seems to be going on is people are coming in making market orders that spike the bid up and/or ask down, upon which the market maker(s) come(s) in to re-establish the spread -- usually doing so at the prior market-making price. Occasionally, if there are enough market orders on one side, the market maker will not return to the prior price but will adjust to a new market making baseline price.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
    jillchambers likes this.
  3. Frankly, I avoid trading with market makers and because they can buy your shares for their own accounts and then flip them hours later to make personal profits. You may or may not make any profits.

4. Frankly, I avoid trading with market makers and because they can buy your shares for their own accounts and then flip them hours later to make personal profits. You may or may not make any profits.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. %%
    I usually aim for much more than hours;
    i did flip some meat on my BB-Q this week LOL:D:D:D:D:D:D:D,:caution::caution::caution: Certain exceptions apply in liquid markets..........................................................................................I do like / The Market Makers Edge, by Joshua Lukeman\6 month charts.
    One elite trader got mad @ the idea of those 2[mm + .6 month candlecharts] in the same sentence/looked like he never read that book LOL