Donald Trump’s Ferrari Disappoints at Florida Auction

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by truetype, Apr 3, 2017.

1. truetype

truetype

2. Thats a great price. I think the provence didn't boost the price as much as expected.

3. truetype

truetype

Yes, a good buy at that price. Not much to lose, and on the off chance he comes to be seen as a top-tier President like Kennedy or Reagan, the value would rise tenfold.

4. dealmaker

dealmaker

Agreed, provenance did not help...

5. A lot of the high end cars at the auction did not sell for the expected prices and a few did not sell at all.

This may not be a good sign, a lot of high end collectibles drop in value with a recession.

Canary in a coal mine ?

6. Never buy ultra high-end/rare stuff...you're basically fucked with liquidity issues when it comes time to sell :banghead: o_O

Or, if you must buy high-end stuff...buy when the prices are really low or hope to find a desperate seller.

This scenario kind of makes me think of 993 generation mid/late 90's Porsche 911...these models trade at high premiums.
    If you buy 996 generation, early/mid 2000's model Porsche 911...you can get these at very low prices. So when the time comes to sell, you won't get hurt that much and/or wouldn't matter. Just place it on eBay at no reserve.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

But the 993 are air cooled 911s and there are very few (like maybe 20k total in the world). But the prices have gone crazy. 993 turbos are now like 250.

The 996 was a piece of poop. And after the 996 they are all "regular cars."

My suggestion if you want to spend 20-30k on a 911, buy an early 80s. I did that. Lotsa fun and cheap. I was just quoted a new battery and alternator for $300 installed.

Overall classic car prices are down 7percent this year according to haggerty.