Doubts about consistency

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Amatrue, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Amatrue

Amatrue

Before you realized you have become consistently profitable in trading have you ever questioned yourself whether or not you can keep this up?

Nobert likes this.
  2. Turveyd

Turveyd

Last week, only had 2 losing trades totaling just over $500, took heat on 1 or 2 other trades, then really start to doubt myself and keeping this up. Stupid trades and not wanting to lose kick in, then that could get nasty, got lucky on 1 today missed SL by 0.5pts NQ and rocked hugely :)

Freaked myself out, today was very random at the start, so stopped trading sadly.

I've only got to keep making $1000 - $2000 per month for the next 1 - 30years depending on how long I live for, no problem at all LOL

Grantx, Trader Curt and trader99 like this.
  3. Turveyd

Turveyd

Looking to Setup, when I'm trading better a LeeLoo Funded account, then I can use that for a wage trade along side my own account then between the 2 make enough to put savings in the bank an not have to do this madness rest of my life.

So 10 years, to fully retired from everything by 60 is the plan.

Last 10years flew by, so soon be there LOL :(

4. Tradex

Tradex

Are you talking about the consistency of the trading system itself (will it keep making money?) or the trader?

5. Amatrue

Amatrue

I trade price action and patterns, and i don't know how to backtest any of this so every winning day or streak i start questioning whether what i did was a fluke or if i could profit consistently like this.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  6. Tradex

Tradex

Well, after a while (and this could take years and years of experience) you stop making the same silly mistakes (no trading edge, no plan, no money management, no discipline) and stick with what works.

But again, this process could take years of painful experience and very costly mistakes, that's why very few traders become professional traders.

7. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

What happens to the drawdown and P/L if you are "inconsistent"? It is pretty easy to do the "many small wins, large loss" wipeout dance. What would make you "inconsistent"? Change of markets? Personal sustainability? Those are the questions that I would be asking. There is consistency in trading and consistency in P/L. The two are not necessarily the same. Hope that helps your query.

PS: all the "?" are rhetorical.

8. CALLumbus

CALLumbus

Satisfied with 1000-2000 per month ? Where do you live ?

9. Turveyd

Turveyd

UK frugal life style, old car no expensive tastes, don't get me wrong 5k is the goal, then 1 week per month on holiday.

CALLumbus likes this.
  10. SteveM

SteveM

Yes. One key realization was I couldn't keep it up, which pushed me towards systematic, rules based trading, which has lead me to some success and better ability to sleep at night.

#10     Oct 3, 2020
    virtusa and SanMiguel like this.