Dual Momentum Sector Strategy - Use AGG or BIL as Bond proxy?

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by Begbie00, May 25, 2022.

1. Begbie00

Begbie00

Hi all,

I'm using ETFs to implement Gary Antonacci's "Dual Momentum", which relies upon a signal comparing US equities (SPY, etc.) to "Bonds".

He mentions the Barclays US Aggregate Index (in my view, most similar to AGG) but uses BIL in a chart showing performance. If I'm not mistaken, BIL is a short-term 1-3M T-Bill fund, more like money market than bonds (i.e., insulated from inflation risk, very low chance of value loss.).

For anyone using Dual Momentum and ETFs to implement a sector strategy: should I be comparing SPY against AGG or BIL to figure out if I should be in equities?

Thanks.

2. First of all, fantastic strategy. I use a similar variation with some of my money.

This is a design decision and no "right" answer, but I use AGG bonds. A little longer duration and a (very) little credit risk compared to T Bills. AGG will typically have a higher trailing return, so a higher bar for the risk asset to overcome.

This makes sense to me, but again it's a design decision. If you think rates will continue to rise (I don't) then maybe BILL is better since its duration is lower and will offer more capital preservation in a rising rate environment.

Begbie00 likes this.