Earn a pathetic 3.4% return, and get paid $350 million

Discussion in 'Trading' started by traderdragon2, Apr 26, 2007.

1. 99ATLANTIC------------- Are you dealing with institutional investors, who may have a detached attitude about fees and fund losses, or individual investors, who do feel the pain of losses and fees? Each has a different level of objectivity.

#11     Apr 26, 2007
  2. If you can please provide the link to the bank that gives >30% a year for me that would be great!!

#12     Apr 27, 2007
  3. I've never bought a bridge, but if you could sell bridges for 19 years the way Simons has returned 33% a year by cheating and not getting caught, then please sell me one :)

(Here's the link to that figure: http://nakedshorts.typepad.com/nakedshorts/2005/12/renaissances_re.html)

BTW - saying someone is cheating because you can't reproduce the results is just a sign of jealousy... I'll personally admit that I'm jealous right now btw - I wish I could do that with even 50k let alone 6B.

#13     Apr 27, 2007
  4. Oh, and that's a 33% return AFTER the 5%/44% fees.... I.e. the average return for his fund is actually over 77% per year...

#14     Apr 28, 2007
  5. If you don't like it, then try opening up a fund on your own.

#15     Apr 28, 2007
  6. ironically, nobody in china (a communist nation) complains about potential to make hundreds of millions.

#16     Apr 28, 2007
  7. Your math is way off. The 5/44 is fairly recnet,
    Medallion started off at 2/20. The 33% net
    number does not include returns on failed
    Rentec funds folded into Medallion. It also
    includes recnet years, when Meallion could
    hardly have been considered a public hedge
    fund -- it has been closed to new money
    since 1996 and gave back the last public
    money at the end of 2005.

For the period during which Medallion was
    a public hedge fund, gross returns averaged
    about 45% per year. An impressive result,
    but not 77% pa.

#17     Apr 28, 2007
  8. Shows how spoiled and pampered and entitled americans are. Weve nearly completely lost the philosophy of our founders. So sad.

#18     Apr 28, 2007

9. I still stick by DOW @ 196,234,523.45 by 2798 :D

Both. Mayhaps I've been lucky with the individuals I've run into, but they all understand that it's impossible to win forever and you will go through drawdowns. As long as you can return 20+% on a fairly consistent basis, they're willing to grin and bear both drawdowns and fees. Especially fees since they know they can't produce these returns w/o any help.

#19     Apr 29, 2007