Eating Healthier

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by expiated, Jul 17, 2020.

1. 61 grams of protein in a single sitting? Perhaps you should read this piece:

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/how-much-protein-can-muscles-use.308466/

#291     Jul 7, 2021
  2. Saw this video, and thought of your thread:

I will probably never make it, but if I did I would replace the honey with (real!) maple syrup and use less of it.

#292     Jul 7, 2021
  3. expiated

expiated

Sugarless/Sugar-free Carrot Cake

You should double the microwave recipe rather than halve the normal recipes. Since you had only one egg, that's what you used, per the microwave recipe. But, I suspect there is a reason all the other recipes call for twice that amount. So, it probably wouldn't hurt to stick with the traditional recipes in that regard, which leaves you with the following…
    • 1½ cups grated carrots (about 1½ to 2 large carrots)
    • 1 cup crushed pineapple
    • ½ cup chopped walnuts or chopped pecans (you can buy the walnuts for less)
    • ¾ cup of canola or vegetable oil (instead of 3 Tbsp of softened butter, which you didn't happen to have on hand)
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1½ cup whole wheat flour (instead of all-purpose flour)
    • 2 tsp of stevia or monk fruit extract (instead of 2 cups of brown and granulated sugar)
    • 2 tsp baking powder
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • ½ tsp salt
    • 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
    • ½ tsp ground ginger
    • ½ cup raisins (2 small boxes?)
    • ¼ tsp ground cloves (optional)
    Bake at 350° for about 40 minutes.

#293     Jul 7, 2021
  4. And here it is, with maple syrup! And less of it. See? I know these things.

I will probably not make this thing either.

And now, I really should stop posting in a dessert thread.

#294     Jul 8, 2021
  5. expiated

expiated

Diet Sodas

Several studies have proved conclusively that drinking diet soda is associated with weight gain. Some skeptical scientists point out that the associations behind this conclusion cannot be equated with causation. Maybe not, but researchers have developed several theories that could very well explain why drinking diet soda causes weight gain...

1. It makes our bodies produce insulin.

Insulin, secreted by the pancreas, is how the human body stores sugar. When the taste of artificial sweeteners (in soda, yogurt, or anything else) hits your brain, it automatically sends a signal to your pancreas to begin producing insulin. When your pancreas produces insulin to deal with anticipated sugar, but then no sugar arrives, it confuses your body and disrupts its metabolic process. This may explain why several studies have shown a link between regularly drinking diet soda and metabolic syndrome, a collection of symptoms that includes larger waist circumference, higher blood pressure, and higher blood sugar.

2. It conditions our taste buds for sweetness.

So it's worth considering that artificial sweeteners are dramatically sweeter than sugar, and although it may not register that way on your tongue, diet soda is in fact much sweeter than regular soda. All that sweetness accompanied by zero calories confuses your brain as well as your metabolic processes, and tends to leave you craving sugar more than before. (I don't drink diet beverages anyway, but if I did, I doubt this would be an issue for me.)

3. It makes you feel entitled to eat more.

Drinking a diet soda means you've consumed zero calories, so you get a free pass to eat more. But since drinking the diet soda has fooled your body into expecting sugar, it's changed the way you metabolize those other calories—you may store more of them as fat and use fewer of them as energy—which could leave you hungry and wanting even more food. (Again, I don't think this would apply in my case, but it doesn't matter anyway, because I don't drink diet soda.)

If all of the above isn't enough to make you avoid the stuff, then consider that other studies also show drinking diet soda is associated with increased risk of stroke and Alzheimer's disease. (Drinking regular soda seems to be bad for the brain as well.)

(Information obtained from Inc.com.)

#295     Jul 23, 2021
  6. This one is really an area I wish there was more research. Not on the diet soda thing because although I might have one once in a blue moon (Coke Zero or Diet Coke) when I am eating something specific that gives me a soda craving, I think diet soda should be extremely limited and avoided even.

By teh Splenda/Sucralose thing because in my attempt to drink more water I will have flavored water mixed in with plain water and I am always worried about accumulated effects. I have read about possible effects on gut bacteria but I guess we can counter that with good probiotic diets.

However whether Splenda can cause insulin release and then create a problem of insulin resistance has had some mixed research and not fleshed out. That is one major area of concern for me.

#296     Jul 27, 2021
    expiated likes this.
  7. expiated

expiated

ScreenHunter_10506 Aug. 02 09.50.jpg

Try using ½ teaspoon of extract for every cup of sugar instead and see if this will still be sweet enough.

#297     Aug 2, 2021
  8. expiated

expiated

Canned Pumpkin?

#298     Aug 2, 2021
  9. expiated

expiated

upload_2021-8-4_18-41-15.png

Try using ½ teaspoon of stevia or monk fruit extract in place of the sugar and see whether it is too sweet or not.

#299     Aug 4, 2021
  10. expiated

expiated

BANANA BREAD
    • 2 cups banana
    • ½ tsp monk fruit or stevia extract
    • 2 eggs (room temperature)
    • ½ cup butter (room temperature)
    • 2 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1 tsp baking soda
    • ½ cup chopped nuts
    • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    I'm not sure if the banana bread would still taste okay with even less sweetener, but ½ tsp monk fruit extract was definitely not too little.

By the way, the other day I made the banana pancakes and totally forgot to add any sweetener whatsoever, yet the end product was still perfectly acceptable to me.

#300     Aug 9, 2021
    FortuneTeller and mlawson71 like this.