Eating Healthier

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by expiated, Jul 17, 2020.

1. expiated

expiated

Brownie Recipe #2
    https://www.loveandlemons.com/brownies-recipe/

upload_2021-9-14_21-43-54.png

(1½ of granulated sugar will be ¾ teaspoon of stevia or monk fruit extract.)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly spray an 8x8 baking dish (not a 9x9 dish or your brownies will overcook) with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper.
    • In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, chocolate chips, and salt.
    • In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, olive oil, water, and vanilla.
    • Sprinkle the dry mix over the wet mix and stir until just combined.
    • Pour the batter into the prepared pan (it'll be thick - that's ok) and use a spatula to smooth the top. Bake for 40 to 48 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs attached (note: it's better to pull the brownies out early than to leave them in too long). Cool completely before slicing. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. These also freeze well!
    NOTES:

If you'd like to reduce the sugar, I've had success with 1 cup granulated sugar instead of 1 1/2 cups.

I like to use olive oil because it's what I keep on hand and I enjoy the pairing of olive oil with chocolate. Keep in mind that you will taste it here. For a more neutral flavor, use canola oil.

When these brownies come out of the oven, they'll be super gooey in the middle. Allow them to cool completely, about 2 hours, before you slice into them to give them a chance to set up. They'll continue to firm up the longer they're out of the oven. If you still prefer a firmer brownie, store them in the fridge.

#311     Sep 15, 2021
    wrbtrader likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

Hey man, where's the recipe for the dark chocolate frosting that MUST be slathered on the top?!?

A brownie without frosting is just a chocolate Twinkie without filling. Well, not really, but sorta'.

#312     Sep 17, 2021
  3. expiated

expiated

Brownie Recipe #3

Ingredients

• ½ cup butter
    • 1 cup white sugar (So, ½ cup sugar = ¼ teaspoon of stevia or monk fruit extract. Hence 1 cup sugar = ½ teaspoon of stevia or monk fruit extract.)
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    • ½ cup all-purpose flour (I'll use whole wheat four instead.)
    • ¼ teaspoon salt
    • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
    Frosting:
    • 3 tablespoons butter, softened
    • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    • 1 tablespoon honey
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions/Instructions

Step 1
    Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Grease and flour an 8-inch square pan.

Step 2
    In a large saucepan, melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1/3 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup flour, salt, and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.

Step 3
    Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Do not overcook.

Step 4
    To Make Frosting: Combine 3 tablespoons softened butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa, honey, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar. Stir until smooth. Frost brownies while they are still warm.

#313     Oct 1, 2021
  4. Overnight

Overnight

Honey! I would not have expected that in a frosting recipe. Interesting.

#314     Oct 1, 2021
  5. Since when have you and expiated grown so close?

#315     Oct 2, 2021
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Since I asked for a recipe for frosting. A brownie without frosting is, well, a chocolate danish.

#316     Oct 2, 2021
  7. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I'm a strong believer in healthy eating. More importantly, living off the land as much as possible to prepare our own foods to sustain us.

I love to fish and wild game but I'm going to mention one of my favorites...

Sturgeon

In the United States, I've fished for Sturgeon in South Dakota, Illinois, Kentucky, Oregon, Montréal (St. Lawrence River). I've even tried fishing for it in South Korea when I was in the military after hearing of a rumor that some were sighted in Taean, South Chungcheong...I didn't catch any in South Korea and was told there weren't any. Soon after I left the military, I heard it was only a rumor started by a fisherman.

Many years later, some people started catching them in Taean, South Chungcheong but I believe now it's so rare there... it's now a protected species there. Simply, I missed an opportunity to catch something so rare in a part of the world...it would have made aquatic news. :D

Here in Québec, Canada...Sturgeon is a very expensive meal in a restaurant but a common meal for the First Nations Indigenous people down in the Montréal area...the Mohawks.

It is a very healthy ingredient. Compared to other fish, sturgeon has superior quality protein (essential amino acids), and has a delicious composition that contains glutamic acid, alanine, glycine, and aspartic acid. Sturgeon has white meat that is light and has no small bones, making it easy to eat.

Sturgeon Mohawk Recipes

Vinegar Poached Sturgeon with Thyme Butter Sauce

Sturgeon-Mohawk-Recipe.png

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/vinegar-poached-sturgeon-thyme-butter-sauce

Crispy Potato Galette with Dill Cream, Smoked Salmon and Sturgeon and Osetra Caviar

Sturgeon-Mohawk-Recipe-1.png

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes...-smoked-salmon-and-sturgeon-and-osetra-caviar

If you ever get a chance to visit Mohawks in the Montreal area and you want to do some fishing of Sturgeons...you'll hear of the name of Eric McComber...a very proud Mohawk and well known celebrity in the area.

https://www.readersdigest.ca/travel/canada/mohawk-fisherman/

Today, I was lucky enough to record Eric and his family on TV...showing how they fish, prepare and eat Sturgeon that sustains their family.

Eric-McComber-Sturgeon-Capture.png

Eric-McComber-Family-Eating-Sturgeon.png

Eric-McComber-Family-Eating-Sturgeon-1.png

wrbtrader

#317     Oct 3, 2021
    expiated likes this.
  8. expiated

expiated

When I was in junior high school (now called middle school) I ordered a book from Scholastic that listed a bunch of edible plants one could find in the wild. But, I did so shortly before summer and the book never arrived. (Back then, I wasn't aggressive about receiving delivery on any product or service for which I paid money, like I am now.)

The books I've seen since have never captured my interest, and by now, I'm sure there are a truck load of them available. Do you know of/have a suggestion for the ONE that would be the most basic, practical, and useful for a novice--especially in terms of the most abundantly available edible plants and avoiding those that are poisonous which look similar?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    #318     Oct 3, 2021
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Here are three books that I own:

* Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide to Over 200 Natural Foods

* The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants

* Edible Wild Plants of the Prairie: An Ethnobotanical

I don't know your location but check with growing your favorites in your yard or on your patio. Thus, your location impacts what you can find in any nearby forest or grow on your property.

https://www.ediblewildfood.com/preserving-food.aspx

wrbtrader

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    #319     Oct 3, 2021
    expiated likes this.
  10. expiated

expiated

Thanks!

#320     Oct 3, 2021