Eating Healthier

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by expiated, Jul 17, 2020.

1. expiated

expiated

What is the difference between white and brown eggs?

Aside from the color of the eggshell, there is little difference between brown and white eggs. The eggshell color depends on the breed of the hen. Generally speaking, white shell eggs come from hens with white feathers, whereas brown shell eggs are produced by hens with brown feathers.

eggs.ca

#321     Oct 16, 2021
  2. expiated

expiated

Brownie Recipe #4

(Recipe Comparison)

upload_2021-10-22_7-44-19.png

For this fourth (experimental) recipe, go ahead and add 1 teaspoon of baking powder, because using stevia or monk fruit extract instead of granulated sugar seems to result in brownies that are lacking in a certain amount of moistness (and softness).

See what happens it you use half a cup of brown sugar instead of one whole cup, and substitute the other half with a half cup of powdered sugar. (Given that you are extremely lean now, a little bit of sugar here and there does not freak you out.)

Without all the granulated sugar, the cocoa powder tends to come on a little bit strong. So, use a third of a cup instead of three-fourths of one.

Why so much vanilla extract? Try one-and-a-half teaspoons instead. And since you will probably be using salted butter, don't add the teaspoon indicated in the recipe. Also, skip the coffee (since you don't have any).

Only one of these recipes actually called for chopped walnuts. But this is a "must have" for me, so I always add this ingredient automatically.

#322     Oct 22, 2021
  3. expiated

expiated

Apply these directions to Recipe #4 in Post #322

Ingredients
    • 1 cup granulated sugar (200g) [Use the extract instead.]
    • 1 cup brown sugar (200g), lightly packed
    • 3 eggs room temperature
    • 3/4 cup cocoa powder (75g)
    • 1 cup flour (120g)
    • 1 teaspoon salt (6g)
    • 1.5 cup dark chocolate chips (260g)
    • 1 cup melted butter (225g), unsalted
    • 1 tbsp coffee (15mL)
    • 1 tbsp vanilla extract (15mL)
    Instructions
    • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and prep a 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
    • In a large bowl, combine melted butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and coffee then mix together well.
    • Add the white and brown sugars to the mixture and whisk together well.
    • Sift cocoa powder, flour, and salt into the bowl and mix until just combined
    • Toss in chocolate chips (or chunks) and fold into the batter (You can opt to add nuts for texture.)
    • Add batter to pan and smooth to the edges. You can add more chocolate chips to the top before baking if desired.
    • Bake for about 30 minutes or until the center is just set. You'll notice the center does not wiggle when the pan is moved.

MORE ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS...

Cocoa powder – I love using a high-quality Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Dutch-processed cocoa powder is darker, less acidic, and fudgier in baked goods making it perfect for brownies! My go-to company is Ghirardelli 100% Cocoa or Hershey’s Special Dark Dutch-Processed cocoa powder but there are lots of great brands out there, including Valrhona, Callebaut, and lots of organic and fair trade options too!

Butter – Make sure you use unsalted butter because additional salt is added to the brownie recipe separately. The butter also needs to be melted which you can do on the stove or in the microwave in short bursts.

Eggs – eggs are essential for a gooey and delicious texture they’re also what helps the brownies to rise in the oven since there is no baking powder involved. They should be at room temperature so take them out of the fridge in advance.

Sugar – I use a combination of white sugar and brown sugar, the brown sugar adds a lot of flavor and texture (you can use light or dark brown).

Coffee – A little splash of coffee adds so much flavor to these brownies and really brings out the chocolate flavor. It is optional so if you don’t want to use any just skip or add a drop more of vanilla.

Vanilla – Make sure to use real vanilla extract and not essence which is synthetic.

Chocolate chips – I find that dark chocolate chips are best for making brownies because there is already enough sugar in the recipe. I use Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips but bitter-sweet will also work. You can also use chocolate chunks or chop up your favorite chocolate bar.

Salt – Although this is a sweet recipe salt really enhances the flavors, you just need a little.

INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Add your butter, eggs, coffee, and vanilla to a large bowl then whisk together.
    2. Add the sugars to the mixture.
    3. Whisk the mixture together until it’s nice and smooth.
    4. Sift in the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.
    5. Stir the mixture together until just incorporated.
    6. Fold in the chocolate chips or chunks. While you have the spatula out it’s a good time to scrape the bottom of the bowl and really make sure there are no pockets of unmixed ingredients hanging out.
    7. Transfer the batter to a lined baking dish and smooth it to the corners then bake.

PRO TIPS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE
    • Measure and prepare all your ingredients before starting to make the recipe even easier.
    • Make sure to line your baking pan otherwise your brownies will stick to the pan, this is a super important tip!
    • Make sure to sift your ingredients to avoid lumps where possible, cocoa powder can be quite lumpy.
    • If you don’t have an 8×8 inch pan for your brownies just use foil to create one or two walls for a smaller baking dish. Line with parchment and you’ll be good to go!
    • The batter is thick so spread it out to the corners of the baking pan as best you can but it’ll level out in the oven.
    • The coffee really helps to enhance the chocolate flavor, the brownies themselves don’t have a strong coffee flavor but you can skip it if you want.
    • You can add either chopped chocolate or chocolate chips to the top of your brownies but this is totally optional. I’ve made the recipe both ways but found the brownies to be a bit more photogenic without the additional chocolate on top.
    • Don’t over-bake your brownies. Unlike cake layers, brownies will not have a springy center and a skewer inserted into the center will not come out clean. Your brownies are done when the center is set and you see the top just begin to crack.
    • The center will continue to bake and set after you remove the brownies from the oven so don’t worry if they seem a bit fudgy.
    • Measure your flour correctly! Adding too much flour to your brownies will take away from that nice fudge-like texture. The best and easiest way to measure flour is by using a scale. If you don’t have one then fluff your flour with a spoon, sprinkle it into your measuring cup, and use a knife to level it off.

#323     Oct 30, 2021
  4. expiated

expiated

I Liked This Brownie Recipe Best

I was mistaken. I had the unsalted type of butter, so I ended up adding salt to the recipe after all. For some reason, this batch was not all buttery on top throughout the entire baking process like the other three recipes. It was also puffier (and more cake like) though I will need to see what it is like when I get to the middle, where it was a little sunken. Unfortunately, I forgot to add the monk fruit extract, so I had to try to kind of mix the sweetener in with a fork after I had already spooned the batter into the 8 × 8 inch bake pan.

I think I will stick with this recipe. I'm not sure why I like it best, other than adding the brown sugar, which the second recipe didn't have added to the powdered sugar (which is actually kind of cheating). The second reciped didn't have any baking powder either, but the other two did. Oh, and I also used more vanilla extract, half of a tablespoon to be exact, seeing as how I opted not to use coffee.

So, the banana pancakes are fine with absolutely no sweetener added whatsoever, and the chocolate cake and carrot cake seem pretty normal using the extract in place of granulated sugar, but when it comes to brownies, it looks like I'm going to have to fudge thinks a little bit and use powdered and brown sugar along with the extract that replaces the granulated sugar (as well as using semi-sweet chocolate chips).

Also, next time, instead of using one teaspoon of baking power, I think I'll try using just half.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    #324     Oct 31, 2021
  5. DT-waw

DT-waw

Eating healthier doesnt make any sense if you inject pharma toxic elixir with not fully known mechanics, promoted by a criminal mafia.

#325     Oct 31, 2021
  6. Overnight

Overnight

Sounds like someone needs a cookie (or tasty brownie, or delicious cake.)

#326     Oct 31, 2021
  7. expiated

expiated

#327     Nov 22, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  8. expiated

expiated

Can you overdose on protein?
    Copied from HealthLine.com

Protein is one of the three macronutrients, along with fat and carbohydrate. These are essential for the optimal functioning of the body. However, too much protein — especially with no fat or carbs—can be harmful. This is something to be aware of considering the prevalence of many high-protein diets.

Protein poisoning is when the body takes in too much protein with not enough fat and carbohydrate for a long period of time. Other names for this are “rabbit starvation” or “mal de caribou.” These terms came about to describe only consuming very lean proteins, such as rabbit, without consuming other nutrients. So, although you may be getting enough calories from protein, your body experiences malnourishment from lack of other nutrients, like fat and carbs.

The liver and kidneys play key roles in the metabolism of proteins. When excessive amounts are consumed, it can put the body at risk for increased levels of ammonia, urea, and amino acids in the blood. Although very rare, protein poisoning can be fatal because of these increased levels.

Symptoms of protein poisoning include:
    • mood changes
    • weakness
    • fatigue
    • low blood pressure
    • hunger and food cravings
    • diarrhea
    • slow heart rate

What causes it?

To function properly, your body needs:
    • protein
    • carbohydrates
    • fats
    • vitamins
    • minerals

If there’s too little or too much of any of these, functioning will decline. Even if you’re getting adequate calories from one macronutrient, ensuring there’s balance is important for optimal health.

Excessive protein is defined as greater than 35 percentTrusted Source of total calories you eat, or more than 175 grams of protein for a 2,000-calorie diet. The acceptable macronutrient distribution range (AMDR) is defined as the range that’s associated with reducing the risk for chronic disease while fulfilling the body’s needs of nutrients. The current AMDR according to the Institute of MedicineTrusted Source recommends the following:
    1. Protein intake: 10 to 35 percent of total calories
    2. Carbohydrate intake: 45 to 65 percent of total calories
    3. Fat intake: 20 to 35 percent of total calories

Excessive consumption of macronutrients outside the ADMR may lead to increased risk for chronic disease and insufficient intakes of essential nutrients.

There are exceptions to the AMDR for carbohydrate and fat macronutrients, but not for protein. Diet exceptions include the ketogenic diet, where fat makes up the majority of the diet, or in plant-based diets, where carbohydrates may make up more than 65 percent of the diet. Either of these diets can result in health benefits.

Protein intake exceeding the AMDR or 35 percent of calories doesn’t show these same benefits, and can lead to protein poisoning.

#328     Nov 29, 2021
  9. expiated

expiated

What happens if your gallbladder is removed?

Normally, the gallbladder collects and concentrates bile, releasing it when you eat to aid the digestion of fat. When the gallbladder is removed, bile is less concentrated and drains more continuously into the intestines, where it can have a laxative effect.

#329     Nov 29, 2021
  10. expiated

expiated

upload_2021-12-8_22-16-28.png

#330     Dec 9, 2021