Eating Healthier

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by expiated, Jul 17, 2020.

1. expiated

expiated

RATIO OF CAKE TO COOKIES INGREDIENTS:
    upload_2020-8-20_17-13-56.png

If going by the above ratio of ingredients, in making the Easy Microwave Chocolate Cake, I would have used 4 Tbsp of butter instead of just 3, ½ cup of milk instead of just ¼, and just ⅛ tsp of baking powder instead of ¼. (Is one egg equal to ¼ of a cup?)

Also, it would appear that cookies are basically all flour, butter and sugar. So, should I combine ¾ cup flour, ½ cup butter and 3 Medjool dates? That should be easy enough. I think I’ll mix these 3 ingredients in these amounts and try microwaving one cookie. If it actually turns solid, I’ll try adding flaxseed, cocoa, vanilla extract, raisins and chopped nuts to the remaining dough to see how tasty it is (or not).

If it does not turn solid, I’m not sure what I will do with the rest of the dough.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    #61     Aug 20, 2020
  2. expiated

expiated

Since the original Microwave Oatmeal Raisin Cookie experiment didn't go well, I continue to look for another solution.

I decided that the ¾ cup of stone ground organic whole wheat flour suggested above was too much to use on an experiment, so I only used ¼ of a cup and then half that much (i.e., ⅜ of a cup).

This meant using ¼ cup of semi-melted butter, both of which I added little by little to 2 Medjool dates, which I'd preheated in a microwave for 30 seconds to soften them up, and mashed up while removing the pits.

I formed one small test cookie from the resulting dough, and microwaved it for 30 seconds. But it did not look done, even after I allowed it to cool a bit. So, I put it back in the oven and microwaved it for 30 more seconds. But after letting it cool again, I found that it would not hold together. I did manage to pick up one little part that remained in the form of a tiny chunk, but it was kind of like eating dry flavorless sand.

Given this result, I decided to add an egg and perhaps try cooking it in a pan. But first, to give it a bit more flavor, I added ⅛ tsp of vanilla extract, ¼ tsp 100% natural unsweetened cacao, 4 "shakes" of Ceylon cinnamon, 2 tsp of chopped nuts, and a 1⅓ ounce box of raisins (37.7 g).

At this point (after adding the chicken ovum) it was like the dough was mostly egg. Given this consistency, I figured I’d give it one more shot in the microwave since eggs cook up pretty fast. I formed another small test cookie, and I “nuked” it on one side for 40 seconds. But it didn’t look done, so I flipped it over, put it back in the microwave, and cooked it an additional 40 seconds.

It came out sizzling hot, so next time, on the second go, I’ll try cutting the time down to just 30 seconds.

In any case, I’m happy to say that after it cooled, it FINALLY had a cookie-like consistency. I found the raisins to be a tiny bit chewy, so perhaps this is why Dr. Fuhrman’s recipe calls for soaking them in water for 30 minutes before draining them and adding them to the dough.

The cookie did not have enough sugar in it to taste “delicious,” but I do think it will make an adequate substitute (in terms of the experience offered) for the unhealthy sugary after-dinner deserts I’ve indulged in the past. (I will have to make some more to get a better sense of whether this is really true, because so far, I have only eaten the test cookie.)

(Now that I have a basic recipe, next time I might try adding some flaxseed and oatmeal.)

MICROWAVE COOKIE RECIPE:

⅜ cup whole wheat flour
    ¼ cup melted butter
    2 Medjool dates (pitted)
    1 egg
    ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
    ¼ tsp unsweetened cacao
    4 "shakes" of Ceylon cinnamon
    2 tsp chopped nuts
    1⅓ oz. (37.7 g) raisins (Soak in water 30 minutes and drain before adding to dough)

Form individual cookies. Try microwaving for 40 seconds on one side and 30 seconds on the other. (These cookies are nice and crunchy.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
    #62     Aug 23, 2020
  3. expiated

expiated

I have no idea what happened!

I took the rest of the dough out of the refrigerator last night and cooked it pretty much the same way, about 40 seconds on the first side (I lost count) and exactly 30 seconds on the second. However, these cookies did not come out crunchy like the first one.

I thought perhaps it was because I removed the remaining (now cold) dough from the refrigerator, so after flipping them over once again this morning, I microwaved the now room temperature “cookies” for yet another 30 seconds one last time.

But not only weren’t they crunchy, they didn't even have the consistency of a soft/chewy cookie. It was more like that of a (soft) chocolate candy. Or then again, it is not all that much unlike the microwave cake, except that instead of being spongy or springing back to the touch, it is more like mushy—but not a wet mushy.

Perhaps this recipe might work if I use half as much butter? If not, I have no idea what I can do to fix it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    #63     Aug 24, 2020
  4. LacesOut

LacesOut

Good post Op and good luck avoiding the big D.

Since Covid lockdown bullshit I’ve lost 30lbs.
    Gym was closed and I didn’t have any weights at the lake so here is what I am doing.

0) wake up whenever the fuck I want to but mostly around 830am. Trying to get 7-8 hours of sleep.

1) Intermittent Fasting. Very strict Monday through Friday. Black coffee and water only till about 2pm. I like cream in my coffee so I save that for the weekends.

2) around 1230pm, on an empty stomach, I take a 60-90 min hike. Rain or shine. I have a treadmill which I assume I will use in the winter if I’m stuck up here and can’t get back south.

3) at 2pm I break my fast and open the eating window. I found that after the walk I’m not even that hungry. Strange. But I eat anyway. Eating window is from 2pm-8pm but I’m not super strict about when it closes. 9 or 10pm is ok but shorter is better. I aim for the 18hr fast but 16 is good too. Plus limiting late night snacking has been key. Fell off the wagon a bit in the last few weeks.

4) Diet has changed to be about 80% vegetarian. I was going to try carnivore diet but after 2 days of it I felt so bad and couldn’t stop shitting. So I went Veg. Monday through Friday Lunch consists of raw veggies and hummus, lentils and rice, chickpea curry, and sometimes I get In the car and hit up the chip wagon for a gorgeous poutine. Friday dinner through Sunday lunch I eat whatever I want, mostly bbq, though I think red meat is an issue for me which fucking sucks. I still find myself intermittent fasting unless my wife makes An amazing huevos rancheros or someone brings up some fresh bagels n lox. Can’t deny it. But 10-12 of my 14 weekly meals have been veg. And my shits are perfect coilers. No more stomach aches. This has been a big change for me. First time I’ve ever curtailed my meat eating. It’s been an eye opener.

5) after dinner, wifey and I walk an additional 60-90 minutes. It works out to about 8-12 miles per day depending on the route we take.

6) get additional exercise whenever possible. I bought some weights and a bench and so we are lifting a bit more now. We were doing some YouTube HIIT classes, some yoga, swimming in the lake ALOT, and we head into town and play tennis at the club. Some golf. Was doing LOTS of pushups. Got up to about 150 a day. And was consistent. Just banging out 25 at a time. It’s so easy. No excuses. As if you don’t have the SIX FUCKING MINUTES to do the 150 pushups. I’ve been blowing it for the last month or so (doing only like 25 a day).

7) I also stopped smoking for 5 months.
    Fell off that fucking wagon after a night of heavy mushroom dosing and have struggled to get back off the vile weed. Disappointed in myself there. I can do it.

So, TLDR:
    Strict IF (16-18 hr)
    Mostly Vegetarian eating.
    Walking 2 plus hours a day.

Been very successful for me.

#64     Aug 24, 2020
    expiated likes this.
  5. expiated

expiated

I made this cake a second time this morning except that I cut the recipe in half and I added a box of raisins.

upload_2020-8-27_10-4-42.png

It cooked up successfully this time as well, but one box of raisins was not enough, so next time I will add two, or if using the above recipe, I will add four.

#65     Aug 27, 2020
  6. expiated

expiated

NOTE: ⅜ of a cup is just slightly more than ⅓ of a cup, 0.375 as opposed to 0.333.

I tried making the microwave cookies once again, except this time I used half as much butter—two tablespoons instead of four.

The dough seem just a tad bit gooier than the previous try, but perhaps that was just my imagination. The recipe made seven of what I would call medium-sized cookies. I was forming the very last one when I realized I had forgotten to add the vanilla extract when I put in the egg, but I was too lazy to put the dough back in a bowl and mix in the vanilla, so I just skipped it.

I cooked the cookies for 40 seconds, but they were too soft for me to flip them over, so I cooked them the last 30 seconds without doing so. They still seemed kind of “wet,” after that, so I let them cool a bit, flipped them over, and cooked them for 40 more seconds one last time. (They were not sizzling like before when they came out.)

The one in the middle of the plate on which I had arranged them did not seem as cooked when I took them out the second time, so when I flipped over the cookies I made room to place it around the edge of the plate with all the rest and left the center of the plate empty.

After letting them cool (following the third trip to the microwave) it seemed like they could still use more cooking, and since the directions for the microwave cake (which always cooks up okay) says to leave the batter in the microwave for a total of two minutes, I decided to flip the cookies over again and microwave them another 40 seconds one last (the fourth) time.

(They still weren’t sizzling, so I guess when that happened previously it must have been due to all the butter.)

I think they were better this time, but still too soft as far as I’m concerned, so I think I’ll try at least once more, but use only one tablespoon of butter.

Next time, try it this way…​
    • ⅜ cup whole wheat flour
    • 1 Tbsp melted (or soft) butter
    • 2 Medjool dates (pitted)
    • 1 egg
    • ⅛ tsp vanilla extract
    • ¼ tsp unsweetened cacao
    • 4 “shakes” Ceylon cinnamon
    • 2 tsp chopped nuts
    • 1⅓ oz. raisins (37.7 g)

#66     Aug 31, 2020
  7. expiated

expiated

I have another diet related book, this one written by Lyn-Genet Recitas. As I recall, its focus is on weight loss achieved by avoiding foods that cause inflammation, especially as relates to physio-chemical changes that take place in people as they age. In my case, I don’t think it would have as much impact as the Fuhrman book. Nonetheless, it still makes a number of valid points with respect to maximizing health.

However, I think the dessert recipes it lists call for a lot more sugar (such as agave nectar and chocolate chips) than those in Fuhrman's book, so I'm likely to use them a lot less often.

The first one I'm listing here is…

Rose Water-Chocolate Macaroons

Macaroons
    • 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
    • 2 tablespoons agave nectar
    • 2 tablespoons chia seeds
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    • 1 teaspoon rose water
    Chocolate Glaze
    • ½ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
    • 2 tablespoons silk coconut milk or rice dream

For macaroons, line a baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend well. Let sit for 10 minutes. Form dough into about 16 (2-inch) balls and arrange on prepared baking sheet. Place in the freezer for a half hour.

For glaze, combine chocolate and coconut milk or Rice Dream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir frequently until chocolate melts, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a measuring cup.

Remove macaroons from freezer and lightly drizzle chocolate on top of each one. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes to set before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.

#67     Aug 31, 2020
  8. expiated

expiated

Microwave Carrot Cake

Given that carrot cake is one of my favorite deserts in the whole world, I figured I would try reconciling the recipe for twelve carrot cupcakes printed on the back of the Bob’s Red Mill 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat Pastry Flour I purchased the other week with the Easy Microwave Chocolate Cake recipe that has consistently come out of the microwave as anticipated.

So, I cut the recipe in half, substituted the oil with butter and the organic coconut sugar with Medjool dates, and this is what I got…
    • ¾ cup grated carrot
    • 4 oz. crushed pineapple
    • ¼ cup chopped walnuts
    • 3 Tbsp softened butter
    • 1 egg
    • ½ tsp vanilla extract
    • ¾ cup whole wheat flour
    • 3 Medjool dates
    • ½ tsp baking powder
    • ⅜ tsp baking soda
    • ¼ tsp salt (skip this since you are using salted butter)
    • ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
    • ⅛ tsp ground ginger
    Spray a medium microwave-safe bowl with non-stick spray and set aside.

Mix together carrot, pineapple, walnuts, butter, egg, and vanilla extract. In a separate container, combine flour, dates (microwave for 30 seconds first to soften them up and remove the skin and pits), baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Unite the two sets of ingredients and mix until smooth.

Pour into greased bowl.

Cover and cook in the microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched. Since all microwaves cook differently, adjust the cooking time to accommodate your machine. To serve, let the cake cool five minutes, then cover the bowl with a plate and turn both bowl and plate upside down so the cake falls onto the plate.

Let cool thoroughly (about 1 hour) before frosting, if at all. (I will need to purchase the crushed pineapple before I can try this out.)

#68     Sep 7, 2020
  9. expiated

expiated

Four US fluid ounces is equal to ½ cup.

#69     Sep 9, 2020
  10. destriero

destriero

lol you won't eat simple carbs yet you're showing a fucking cake recipe. It's a delivery mechanism for sugar and fat. You should post less. Get an Easy Bake Oven.

It's termed peripheral neuropathy. You could be pre-diabetic or suffering from a number of conditions. Baking/eating cookies probably isn't therapeutic.

#70     Sep 9, 2020
    monet and Frederick Foresight like this.