Eating Healthier

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by expiated, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Yes, this dessert recipe thread does have something of a misleading title.

#71     Sep 9, 2020
    destriero and monet like this.
  2. expiated

expiated

Since I wasn’t adding ground flaxseed to this recipe, and given that I mixed the flour with the dry spices, and because I wasn’t so concerned with mixing in the Medjool dates (four) as smoothly as humanly possible as I am when making banana pancakes; I mashed the date mush up with the semi-wet grated carrots and then mixed in the pineapple, adding the vanilla extract, egg, and melted butter afterward. (I also opted to add a small box [37.7 g] of raisins, since dates don’t really taste all that sweet to me personally.)

After combining the dry and wet ingredients, I put half of the batter in a bowl and microwaved it on high for two minutes, figuring if I ruined the first batch, I could make whatever adjustments needed to be made with the second.

(I was going to use someone else’s ground nutmeg and ground ginger, but I couldn’t locate their ginger, so I omitted it from the batter.)

I let the first batch cool for like an hour before trying to flip it out of the bowl (which I elected not to grease). It had a single wet spot, so I tried microwaving it for another 30 seconds, but that didn’t seem to help. The rest of the cake was fine however, so I guess I should have mixed it up just a little bit more thoroughly (especially since the second batch didn’t have this problem). I’ll check in the morning to see what it’s like after it’s had a chance to “air out” and also cool off completely.

The taste is a close enough approximation to regular carrot cake for it to serve as a satisfactory substitute, even without the refined sugar (and ginger).

I’ll have to see if I can find an acceptable alternative for cake icing at some point in the future. A quick look just now however turned up a sugar substitute (sugar alcohol) called Swerve Sweetener, so I suppose this might be one possibility. Here are the drawbacks that were listed…

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    #72     Sep 10, 2020
  3. expiated

expiated

Sugar Alcohols May Cause Digestive Issues

Because your body cannot digest them, sugar alcohols travel through your digestive tract unchanged until they reach the colon. In the colon, they are fermented by bacteria, which can lead to gas, bloating and diarrhea. However, studies have suggested that erythritol may have less of an effect on your digestion compared to other sugar alcohols. Unlike other sugar alcohols, about 90% of erythritol is absorbed into your bloodstream. Thus, only 10% makes it to your colon to be fermented. Additionally, erythritol seems to be more resistant to fermentation compared to other sugar alcohols. In fact, studies have shown that erythritol in doses up to 0.45 grams per pound (1 gram per kg) of body weight is well tolerated. Yet, other studies have shown that a single dose of 50 grams of erythritol was linked to nausea, and 75 grams of erythritol was associated with bloating and diarrhea in 60% of people.

High in FODMAPs

Both oligosaccharides and erythritol are high-FODMAP foods. FODMAPs are short-chain carbohydrates that can cause digestive issues for some people when fermented by gut bacteria. A diet high in FODMAPs has been shown to cause abdominal pain and bloating in people with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Therefore, you may want to steer clear of Swerve and other natural sweeteners if you’re prone to digestive symptoms. However, as long as you don’t eat high amounts of Swerve at a time, it’s unlikely to cause symptoms. Individual tolerance to the ingredients in Swerve may vary.

SUMMARY

Swerve contains erythritol and oligosaccharides, both of which are high in FODMAPS, which may cause digestive issues. At small amounts, Swerve is unlikely to cause these problems.

The Bottom Line

Swerve Sweetener is a sugar replacement made from the natural ingredients erythritol, oligosaccharides and natural flavors, though it’s unknown what exact sources the manufacturer uses to make the latter. It’s calorie-free and doesn’t raise blood sugar or insulin levels, but high amounts may cause digestive upset. If you like the taste and don’t experience digestive symptoms when consuming Swerve, it appears to be safe in low to moderate amounts.

#73     Sep 10, 2020
  4. expiated

expiated

Having made carrot cake for myself I now realize that what makes it taste so good is the pineapple...;)

#74     Sep 10, 2020
  5. monet

monet

If your limbs are at risk of being amputated, eat broccoli not high calorie snacks?

Rose water chocolate macaroons:
    2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut 560 cal
    2 tablespoons agave nectar 120 cal
    2 tablespoons chia seeds 100 cal
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 20 cal
    1 teaspoon rose water -
    ½ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate 400 cal
    2 tablespoons silk coconut milk or rice dream 60 cal

And how many of these 1,260 cal recipes are you getting through per day?

#75     Sep 10, 2020
    destriero likes this.
  6. expiated

expiated

Basically, at this point I have only made the Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes, the Easy Microwave Chocolate Cake and the Microwave Carrot Cake. I do not put butter or syrup on the pancakes and I do not put icing on the chocolate cake or carrot cake, so I doubt the calorie count is extremely high (but I wouldn't know since I don't count calories).

#76     Sep 10, 2020
  7. monet

monet

Well, good luck. Unfortunately for most of us it was our parents who got us hooked on this crack in the first place.

#77     Sep 12, 2020
  8. expiated

expiated

Here is another possible option:

STEVIA

From medicalnewstoday…

What is stevia?

Stevia is a non-nutritive or zero-calorie sweetener made of steviol glycosides. These are compounds extracted and refined from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana plant.

Many people choose to replace sugar with stevia to reduce their calorie consumption. Stevia extracts are derived from the stevia plant and are available in granulated or tablet forms.

Stevia leaves are about 200 times sweeter than traditional white sugar and people have used them for centuries as a sweetener and herbal supplement. However, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) only consider high-purity steviol glycosides to be safe for human consumption currently. Because the FDA have not approved crude stevia extracts and stevia leaves as a food additive, companies are not allowed to market them as sweetening products.

Risks and side effects

According to the FDA, the acceptable daily intake for stevia glycosides is 4 milligrams (mg) per kilogram of body weight. (Is this 64/10,000 of an ounce per every 100 pounds?)

When used as a sweetener or to flavor foods, experts do not consider highly purified stevia to cause adverse side effects. While several studies have identified potential side effects of stevia over the last few decades, most were done using laboratory animals, and many have since been disproved.

Potential side effects linked to stevia consumption include:

Kidney damage

Stevia is considered a diuretic, meaning that it increases the speed at which the body expels water and electrolytes from the body in urine. Because the kidney is responsible for filtering and creating urine, researchers initially thought that long-term consumption of stevia could damage the organ. More recent studies, however, have concluded that stevia may help prevent kidney damage. A 2013 study carried out in a laboratory found that stevia reduced cyst growth in kidney cells.

Gastrointestinal symptoms

Some stevia products contain added sugar alcohols that may cause unpleasant symptoms in individuals that are very sensitive to the chemicals. Although hypersensitivity to sugar alcohol is rare, its symptoms can include:
    • nausea
    • vomiting
    • indigestion
    • cramping
    • bloating
    Several studies using rodent and human cell cultures have demonstrated the potential gastrointestinal benefits of steviol glycosides. Stevia use has been shown to help limit and reduce diarrhea and the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Allergic reaction

According to a 2015 review, there are very few reported cases of stevia allergy. Both the FDA and European Commission concluded that the number of individuals who are hypersensitive to stevia or at a risk of having an allergic response to it is low.

Hypoglycemia or low blood sugar

Although stevia may help control blood sugar in people with diabetes, it was also once thought that long-term or heavy stevia consumption might cause hypoglycemia or low blood sugar. This has since been proven highly unlikely, except in individuals with abnormally low blood sugar levels.

Low blood pressure

Stevia is known to act as a vasodilator, causing the blood vessels to widen and lowering overall blood pressure. Currently, researchers have only explored the potentially positive aspects of this use. Anything that actively lowers blood pressure can cause health complications with excessive, long-term use. People with chronic low blood pressure should speak to a doctor about prolonged stevia use.

Endocrine disruption

As a type of steroid, steviol glycosides can interfere with hormones controlled by the endocrine system. A 2016 study found that human sperm cells exposed to steviol experienced an increase in progesterone production.

Who should not use stevia?
    • Those taking medications that may intereact with stevia should speak to a doctor before consuming stevia products.
    • Some people are at an increased risk of developing side effects from regular stevia use. This is because stevia can lower blood sugars and blood pressure, and act as a diuretic.
    • Stevia can also interact with certain medications, so it is important to discuss stevia with a doctor before consuming or purchasing the product.
    Factors that may increase the risk of stevia side effects include:
    • blood pressure conditions and medications
    • liver conditions and medications
    • kidney conditions and medications
    • heart conditions and medications
    • hormone regulating medications
    • steroids
    • cancer medications

#78     Sep 13, 2020
  9. expiated

expiated

Possible Candidate...

¼ cup butter (room temperature)
    ½ cup Swerve
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon coconut milk

Instructions
    1. Add all ingredients into a stand mixer and blend on high until smooth.
    2. Continue to add additional milk for desired consistency. Makes ⅝ cup or 5 ounces.
    3. Does not need refrigeration once on cookies.
    4. Unused frosting can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 3 months.

#79     Sep 13, 2020
  10. expiated

expiated

From fitday.com...

If you want to use stevia as a powdered sugar substitute, here are three versions to choose from:
    • Take 2 packets of stevia with 1 cup of arrowroot or potato starch and process them in a food processor.
    • Alternatively, you can process 4 packets of stevia with 1 cup of arrowroot or potato starch and 1 cup of whey protein powder.
    • Finally, you can process 4 packets of stevia with 1 cup of arrowroot or potato starch and 1 cup of powdered milk.

From sweetleaf.com...

VANILLA FROSTING

Serves: 32
    • 1/3 cup SugarLeaf®
    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
    • 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
    • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
    Directions
    Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the SugarLeaf® and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Makes about 2 cups.

Cream cheese has a lot of saturated fat, so maybe I can use something like this instead...

ScreenHunter_8686 Sep. 14 15.17.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    #80     Sep 14, 2020