Establishing a track record

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by GlobalMacro90, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Hello All,

I was wondering other trader's thoughts regarding creating and keeping a track record? I have been building a live track record for the last 2.5 years. I am having my results tracked on Fundseeder.com currently, but I worry that might not be there forever.

Lately I have been writing some code(python) to help track and display my results as well.

Have you guys taken other approaches to creating and keeping a presentable track record? Is there any software available? If all trading is done at one broker (IB), would getting access to historical records be straightforward when the time comes? If not at one broker, how does one go about getting a 3rd party verification that the data is real (audit?).

Thanks,

2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Keep all your monthly statements.
    Keep a record of all transactions in spreadsheet.

With those, your returns can be verified and/or audited.

CSEtrader likes this.
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

You could use C2 (collective2.com) as an easily accessible record keeper. Just enter your trades there too.

I assume the whole point of record keeping is that you might trade other people's money down the road...

4. Thanks for the reply Robert. I do these things already.

5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Until the time comes that you wish to market yourself, that is all you need.

6. If I do wish to market myself what are the next steps? Is there software to create visuals and such or would that be up to the trader to create?

7. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Equities/
    equities/options or futures?
    What are your expectations? Managed or pooled accounts?
    Are your returns from a meaningful amount of AUM?
    Are they marketable risk adjusted returns after typical fees?
    Is your Bio interesting?
    Do you have the ability to raise money to get started?

I don’t expect you to answer these questions here. I expect you will create a plan if you have the ability to move forward. You are focusing on the presentation which is important but you do that after you create a plan.

GlobalMacro90 likes this.
  8. Hi, what is the best tracking platform/software/website aside from fundseeder?

thanks

(for futures trader)

9. There is a problem. One can inject new cash into the portfolio from salary or whatever source which are not from investment gains. This somewhat distorts the calculation of portfolio returns which depends on portfolio size because the size has been artificially inflated by new cash injection.

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

No, it doesn't. Monthly calculations are based on beginning of month equity, It can be easily adjusted for cash movement mid-month. You can also go back and adjust returns to include fees for a RIA or CTA. Any admin that works with new managers can do this with their systems. Anyone good with excel can do this too.

#10     Jul 11, 2018
    CSEtrader and helpme_please like this.