Evaluation of Backtested System Results

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by trend456, Apr 23, 2003.

1. I have found in examining the results of my actual trades that removing the top 10% actually has put me into the breakeven/slightly negative category.

What does it mean when all of a systems profits come from 10% of the winning trades? That 10% of winning trades actually represents 5% of all trades. The other 90% of winning trades balance out all trades that result in breakeven or negative results.

#31     Apr 27, 2003
  2. man

man

then it's easy, just trade the most profitable ones ...

though this is joking, it contains some truth, namely to analyse if specific market conditions, like vola, Ma slope, relative daily range correlate with win amount.

peace

#32     Apr 28, 2003
  3. These results represent the best tools that one system produces in all different types of markets. The point is not to change the system. It's a winning system. My point is that statistically it doesn't follow a bell curve.

#33     Apr 28, 2003
  4. maxpi

maxpi

Regarding the 3D graph, your system will show a peak and possibly you chose the parameters that produce a peak like it going forward. It is generally considered much more likely to succeed if you pick parameters that keep you away from the peak and produce a nice smoothly increasing profit curve, with less dependence on a few good trades.

Max

#34     Apr 28, 2003
  5. hmmm......

What kind of time frame do you develop systems? Is it a Daytrading system or does it hold position overnight?

Good Trade.

Trend

#35     Apr 29, 2003
  6. Daytrading system

This daytrading system is designed as a very low risk system.

#36     Apr 30, 2003
  7. Spreadem,

I've been trading and developing day trading system. My systems generate an average of one trade per day. Commission and slippage is very hard to overcome when I trade more often.

How many trades do you generate a day on average?

Good Trade.

Trend:)

#37     Apr 30, 2003
  8. 2 to 5 trades per day

#38     Apr 30, 2003
  9. cool.

trend:D

#39     Apr 30, 2003
  10. Beautifully said! Ya gotta feel the system, ya just gotta feel it.

PTR

#40     May 1, 2003