Fed chicken didn't have the guts to pull the trigger

Discussion in 'Economics' started by JSOP, Jan 26, 2022.

1. Congrats to those who went long on the 10-year bonds.

#11     Jan 26, 2022
  2. My GOD this volatility!!!

#12     Jan 26, 2022
  3. NAZ up yet again! LOL.

#13     Jan 26, 2022
  4. MKTrader

MKTrader

It depends what happens. The Fed was very hawkish in 2018 until the market tanked. Do they really want to make stocks, bonds and real estate crater by doing something won't do much to fight inflation...which is more of a policy issue than a monetary one? Note that oil is still up for the day after their statement, unlike other assets. Open pipelines, maximize fracking and end lockdowns if you want to reduce inflation. But that's not in their job description. Meanwhile, a sharp rise in interest rates will make interest on the debt soar--not good. That said, they may do a few rate increases but I don't think it will nearly as aggressive as they're claiming.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    #14     Jan 26, 2022
    nooby_mcnoob likes this.
  5. Open pipelines-

Biden put himself into a corner with that one.

#15     Jan 26, 2022
    MKTrader likes this.
  6. %%
    Early weekly gains on spxl UPRO,
    spxs, spxu still holding. End of week may provide a clue about the best trends + hedge:caution::caution:

#16     Jan 26, 2022
  7. mikeriley

mikeriley

Bugsy if you shorted S&P you're a smart man.
    Between 12:20 and 13:00 ES futures ran a volatility contraction pattern, then blew to
    the upside over 100 points. Few minutes later reversed down another 200+ points.

Thank you Mark Minervini

#17     Jan 26, 2022
    Bugsy likes this.
  8. Bugsy

Bugsy

That was the exact point I shorted, but on the 2nd 5 minute candle after you could see it retracing some. I figured a tight stop of 11 points which was over its initial high was worth it if I was correct. Currently sitting up 160 points.

#18     Jan 27, 2022
  9. Doubt you will see anything until March to be honest.

#19     Jan 27, 2022
  10. Until the next FOMC meeting expect to see weaker economic data, this will give the FOMC cover to do nothing. However if crude oil keeps rising, that will make it more difficult for them to wait. It's all rigged, just think like a crook and you to can figure it out.

#20     Jan 27, 2022