Feminine Feminist

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OddTrader, Jan 25, 2018.

1. "10 Struggles Of Being A Feminine Feminist
    By Brianna Wiest, August 31st 2015
    https://thoughtcatalog.com/brianna-wiest/2015/08/10-struggles-of-being-a-feminine-feminist/

1. People assume that to be a good feminist is to embody masculine qualities. ...

2. People tend to define women one-dimensionally, so you sometimes feel as though you have to choose between seeming “intelligent” or “attractive.” ...

3. It’s been suggested that your success is probably the result of you look a certain way, or because you found your way into the bedroom of a certain higher-up. ...

4. You acknowledge society’s warped consumerist-driven beauty standards, but still wear makeup, as you realize the problem is taking too seriously what was made for fun. ...

5. People almost use your love for traditionally “girly things” against you. ...

6. People still (somehow) assume that a sexy selfie indicates a lack of self-respect. ...

7. If you’re in a heterosexual relationship, people just assume you’ve fallen victim to the patriarchy, if you’re in a homosexual relationship, people ask who the “boy” is. ...

8. People claim it’s easier for you to have confidence because you appear a certain way. ...

9. You feel as though you’re almost constantly policing yourself so as not to say anything very gender-stereotypical (“I like when my boyfriend holds a door for me, it’s just a nice gesture.”) ...

10. You find yourself feeling as though you have to justify very basic interests, activities and opinions. ..."

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Victor Mature and Lamarr in Samson and Delilah (1949)

[​IMG] With John Hodiak in A Lady Without Passport (1950)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  3. tomorton

tomorton

Nice. One day there should be a Hollywood film about Hedy Lamarr's real life.

I've heard before that women get a far harder time from feminists than men do. Which seems somewhat discriminatory. But then again, men and women are different.....

4. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

All of the above can be summed up in one thing: "Caring about what other people think". No need to write the same thing 10 times...
    The solution is easy: "Don't give a shit about anybody else."
    This will do good the woman and everybody else.

:D

5. Good question, indeed : when asked where her philosophy came from,

6. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

So, what is your point?

7. My guesses:

1. Probably several levels. I think she's mainly a writer, much more than a philosopher that some other people especially her followers would like to see/call her.

2. I think her concepts during her time did have solid market demand during the economic and political environment, as proved by the development and history of her followers.

A. Why would "Reason" logically or naturally lead to "Egoism"?

B. "Reasoning" is just an analytical tool used to base on an assumption in order to reach a logical conclusion.
    e.g. If a person is selfish or poorly educated, (s)he would most likely follow Egoism rather than Altruism.

4. Perhaps just writing a novel for a repackaging of something already existing. See below.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  8. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

Who cares what she is? Anyone that uses personal remarks to answer an argument is just avoiding the issue, normally for lack of arguments, which seems to be your case. Adress what she said and argue against that, if you can.
    What she said was true then, just as it is now.
    Read her books, you`ll get the answers and you might learn something.

No, thanks.

9. 5. Inconsistency:

A. " She was sharply critical of most philosophers and philosophical traditions known to her, except for Aristotle, Thomas Aquinas, and classical liberals.[5]"

B. "Rand acknowledged Aristotle as her greatest influence[128] and remarked that in the history of philosophy she could only recommend "three A's"—Aristotle, Aquinas, and Ayn Rand.[129] " ( Sciabarra 1995, p. 12 }

C. "In a 1959 interview with Mike Wallace, when asked where her philosophy came from, she responded, "Out of my own mind, with the sole acknowledgement of a debt to Aristotle, the only philosopher who ever influenced me. I devised the rest of my philosophy myself."[130] "

D. "However, she also found early inspiration in Friedrich Nietzsche,[131] and scholars have found indications of his influence in early notes from Rand's journals,[132 "

E. "However, by the time she wrote The Fountainhead, Rand had turned against Nietzsche's ideas,[135] and the extent of his influence on her even during her early years is disputed.[136 "

F. "Among the philosophers Rand held in particular disdain was Immanuel Kant, whom she referred to as a "monster",[137] although philosophers George Walsh[138] and Fred Seddon[139] have argued that she misinterpreted Kant and exaggerated their differences. "

G. She surely studied not only Aristotle, but also many others whose writing must have certain input or impact on her thoughts, whether she accepted any parts/components/ideas, or even completely reject all of them at all.

It'd be not really Reasonable nor Logical to say the influence Only from Aristotle. Not an Objective saying or view, imo.

Actually, I don't know what I am trying to say here. lol

10. NeoTrader

NeoTrader

Clearly...
    That's OK, it doesn't matter anyway.

#10     Jan 25, 2018