Filmmaker Christopher McQuarrie on Success. I think this applies to all fields...

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by zghorner, Oct 12, 2022.

1. zghorner

zghorner

I was reminded of Mark Douglas' saying "focus on the process, not the profits".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That is obviously the correct advice.

But what the likes of Mark Douglas don't seem to mention is that sometimes you can follow the process for a 100 (or more) trades and still have no profits to show for it.

Newbie traders will then think, all i need is to follow the process for a few days/weeks/months and i will come out nicely ahead. Yes sometimes you will, but sometimes you wont.

Take the best trading fund in the world, Rentec Medallion, even they have losing quarters, they probably make hundreds if not thousands of trades every quarter and sometimes they have nothing to show for it except a loss.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    SimpleMeLike and murray t turtle like this.
  3. %%
    Most likely right\
    about 50%\
    but lotto is stupid tax on people that cant do math.
    Some say well its legal/ in some places/ sure\
    as if that disproves my point/LOL:caution::caution:
    But sounds like the pic director knows more about business than any psyco- babler;
    JS took 10 years before he started profits off market math/big time

4. I suppose it depends in part on the viability of the process in question.

zghorner likes this.
  5. zghorner

zghorner

Yea the guy hasnt ever read Douglas.

murray t turtle likes this.
  6. %%
    Maybe not\ but that could be an advantage\
    another Elite Trader said ''not so much pshcho- babel'':D:D

7. "find your passion"
    "trust the process"

Literally every single professional sports team now has the motto of "Trust the process"

What is hysterical to me is how serious people post things like this on Twitter like they are Socrates saying something profound and original when I literally can't think of life advice I have heard the past 10 years other than exactly this.

"People ask me what the secret to my success is? Well I don't know if you have ever heard this quote before but I tell em choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life!"

SimpleMeLike likes this.
  8. zghorner

zghorner

Yet most start trading with a focus on the profits and not the process...some things are worth repeating over and over again.

9. Because for most people their only passion is making profits they have no passion for the process of trading which involves dealing with uncertainty and losses over an extended period of time.

zghorner likes this.
  10. zghorner

zghorner

Agree 100%

#10     Oct 12, 2022