Finland considers a universal basic income for all citizens

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Sotnis, Dec 7, 2015.

1. well for one thing, they won't be penalized like food stamps, and welfare and sec 8 housing does if you go out and try to make some extra money. People will no longer need full time jobs with benefits. Good for small business who just wants to hire to cover the rush.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    #31     Dec 10, 2015
  2. d08

d08

Absolutely, 800€ is far from enough to make a decent living or to even survive (unless you live in your own cabin in the woods and hunt for food). But two people living together for a combined 1600€, that's entirely doable, albeit affording you no luxuries.

#32     Dec 11, 2015
  3. yes, and if you want to get into social engineering, unlike the current welfare system which encourages mothers to stay single, under the new system you would need a partner (or at least a partner could help share expenses.)

keep in mind, yes there are a few lazy bums, but many people live poor because they are poets, musicians and artists. If you feel that non commercial artists (who make bad employees) add anything of value to a society this would help.

I'm just waiting for the book "How I Made a Million in the Finnish Stock Market on 800 a Month"

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    #33     Dec 11, 2015
  4. piezoe

piezoe

Will Rogers didn't agree with you. Mr. Hoover didn't know that money trickled up. Give it to the people at the bottom and the people at the top will have it before night, anyhow.

#34     Dec 11, 2015
  5. that's exactly my point, as a matter of fact he was the one who got me thinking about it many years ago. It's like dumping water on the ground. Somebody has to collect all that water and pump it back up to the rich so they can dump it on the poor again. But to sustain that you need rain.

but I'm a big believer in cradle to grave social security to replace all means tested benefits

and speaking of President Hoover, if you want to see how money and water flow, check out Hoover Dam.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    #35     Dec 11, 2015
  6. piezoe

piezoe

You are someone that thinks, and that's really all we have a right to expect of anyone, because everything else follows.

#36     Dec 12, 2015
  7. Zestilio

Zestilio

Looks good. Humans are the only life form on this plant that needs to pay to have the right to live. Basic income looks like the best step so far that can give everyone equally, to have basic needs covered.

#37     Dec 15, 2015
  8. especially when basic needs are so simple and cheap in todays world. Once everyone is clothed and fed and sheltered from the elements, we can resume trying to win everybodys money from them, and maybe growing the pie a little bit in the process.

#38     Dec 15, 2015
  9. kovalrock

kovalrock

I am 100% for a such system. It may be the solution to unfair welfare. In some countries like France many people with low education hesitate between working or living on welfare. Others who work hard have sometimes the feeling that they pay for the ones who don't.

#39     Dec 25, 2015
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

Guys, we already have this in the US times 100. I do agree to simplify this whole mess we just eliminate ALL benefits and give people an annual check. The dems in this country would NEVER support this because the idea of partialing out the benefits is what begets votes. Black people get this.....single moms get that....students this....immigrants that....etc. It's how you build voting blocks. The reason the "political right" supports this in theory is that it DESTROYS the democratic base. It renders their vote useless because you can't pander to them anymore.

But that aside, when you add up all the welfare benefits in this country, they come out to a lot more then $800 a month. Medicaid, food stamps, section 8 housing, reduced utility bills and then social security income. It's WAAAY more then this. Many economists fear that by giving people a lump sum and "hoping" they use it for food and living expenses, you run the risk of them not using it for that and still needing more. The reason we break it down in this country into these separate categories is precisely so people get what they NEED.

Now that is for the very poor. Now let's move to the idea of giving ALL people 800 bucks a month. Again, we do this in spades already we just use different distribution mechanisms. For example, the mortgage interest credit on your house is one of the biggest BS giveaways to the middle class. The earned income tax credit we give Americans for simply re-producing is another one. That's REAL money in the mail, not a tax deduction.

I highly doubt the left in this country would EVER support this idea unless they are suggesting we give this check out in "addition" to all the other free money handouts we give. I do agree in theory simplifying the process by just saying, here you go, do what you want with it, when the food runs out, don't ask us for more, is much more fair and efficient then breaking welfare down into all these categories where voting blocs are available for the highest bidder.

#40     Dec 26, 2015