free 20 c

Discussion in 'Options' started by daniel5198, Jun 6, 2006.

1. -1.3$ hurts but not fatal, nor final. will try to let theta work 4 me till june expiry next week, will let u know when exit made and with what P&L. or shall i drop the P from the expression...
    in the meantime, planning to do a June b-fly on SHFL today b4 close. will post the trade details when done.

#11     Jun 8, 2006
  2. OK, my notorious VTS double calendar is beginning to pay off. at today's close the balance is 0.1 above B\E.
    will let theta keep working for me.

#12     Jun 8, 2006
  3. Broh, put the crack pipe down for a minute, and get out your calculator.

You paid: $1.75 for 50 call cal.
    $1.55 for 50 put cal.

current mid price: $1.40 for 50 call cal.
    $1.10 for 50 put cal.

Your $3.30 basis vs. $2.50 current mid value.:confused:

#13     Jun 8, 2006
  4. "Broh, put the crack pipe down for a minute, and get out your calculator" - that is good, lol, I wish I could come up with stuff like that. :)
    "Your $3.30 basis vs. $2.50 current mid value" - that is bad, but only a relatively small loss at this stage.
    daddy's boy

#14     Jun 9, 2006
  5. another excellent trade... Are you done here ?

#15     Jun 9, 2006
  6. excellent or not, i am currently -1.05$ there, but holding on to it till June expiry next week , hoping 4 some theta coming my way along with a small lift to stock price.(hate to break plans).
    anyway, me being a fool not learning from his own mistakes, i did exactly the same set-up yesterday on SHFL (sold June 35c @ $2.5 35p @ 0.95, and bought July 35c @$3.3 35p 1.55) and made the planned exit today after the vol crush , taking home $0.45 profit from a $1.4 debit (that's 32.1% profit using my calculator and the crack pipe together). the only difference between the two double calendars was that on the losing VTS one i had 1 contract in each leg, and in the SHFL one there were 5 on each. go figure...

#16     Jun 9, 2006
  7. but u told us you will do a b-fly on SHFL

#17     Jun 9, 2006
  8. i know, i know. but when trying to set the trade the R/R for that looked terrible for a FLY . so i figured i would again do what i've been doing for the last 5 trades , eventhough u guys almost convinced me that this strategy sucks...nevertheless, out of 5 trades (D Cal's on IV crushes, u should know by now, cause it gives u the creeps...), 4 were generously profitable, and only 1 (u know which one) is still (?) in the red. so, we'll c. i appreciate all your comments, it is very important when trying to consolidate a strategy to add to my portfolio.

#18     Jun 10, 2006
  9. I'm new to this forum, but enjoying all of the debate. If you've held on to your position, as of today, you are slightly ahead.

Are you still in? Or where did you exit? Why the short straddle in combination with a long straddle in a 'calendar spread' fashion?

It seems like a good bet if you are expecting no volatility (or even a reduction) in the near short straddle period, then increased volatility following its expiration. I just can't picture doing short straddles in today's market.

#19     Jun 13, 2006
  10. at the moment my profit on the VTS double cal is 0.95$. plan to exit tomorrow. will post my actual P&L upon execution. sure looks far better than the free 20 c i gave u... (crack pipe? hello?).

#20     Jun 15, 2006