Funny quotes about the market

Discussion in 'Trading' started by xelite777, May 20, 2014.

1. "Wall Street is the only place that people ride to in a Rolls Royce to get advice from those who take the subway." - Warren Buffett.

"I made a killing in the stock market. My broker lost all my money, so I killed him." - Jim Loy.

"Every day, self-proclaimed stock market "experts" tell us why the market just went up or down, as if they really knew. So where were they yesterday?" - Anonymous.

"If stock market experts were so expert, they would be buying stocks, not selling advice." - Norman R. Augustine.

Feel free to add more... :cool:

2. maler

maler

“October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February.”

― Mark Twain

3. "The market may be bad, but I slept like a baby last night. I woke up every hour and cried."
    Anonymous.

4. "
    11. If you feel like doubling up a profitable position, slam your dialing finger in the drawer until the feeling goes away

12. The perfect strategy works every time until you start using it

13. If your strategy seems to be working well, you haven’t been using it long enough "

http://www.soyroy.com/murphys_law.htm

5. Believe it or not this came thru an elite trader.
    A new trader said how come the market reverses every time i put on a position??

Elite trader told him ''quit trading so big''LOL:D

6. One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
    William Feather

The main purpose of the stock market is to make fools of as many men as possible.
    Bernard Baruch

I'm involved in the stock market, which is fun and, sometimes, very painful.
    Regis Philbin

All my money is in a savings account. My dad has explained the stock market to me maybe 75 times. I still don't understand it.
    John Mulaney

Anybody who plays the stock market not as an insider is like a man buying cows in the moonlight.
    Daniel Drew

7. On the other hand... :D

"How many millionaires do you know who have become wealthy by investing in savings accounts? I rest my case." - Robert G. Allen

8. Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent. — John Maynard Keynes

Never make forecasts, especially about the future. — Samuel Goldwyn

Economists have predicted 14 of the last 3 recessions. <--- LOL

9. Sir John Templeton, investor and mutual-fund pioneer:

“The four most dangerous words in investing are: ‘this time it’s different.’”

John D Rockefeller, the world’s richest man in the late 1800s:

“The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets.”

Peter Lynch, successful Fidelity fund manager:

“Know what you own, and know why you own it.”

Warren Buffett, the ‘Sage of Omaha’:

“Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing.”

Paul Samuelson, Nobel Prize-winning economist:

“Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas.”

Benjamin Franklin, Founding Father:

“An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.”

Benjamin Graham, pioneering value investor:

“In the short run, the market is a voting machine, but in the long run it is a weighing machine.”

Jim Cramer, TV personality and former hedge-fund manager:

“Every once in a while, the market does something so stupid it takes your breath away.”

Jack Bogle, Vanguard founder:

“Don’t look for the needle in the haystack. Just buy the haystack!”

10. Famous Quotes in Stock Market

by khalid

1. “ A stock broker is one who invests other people’s money until its all gone.”
    -Woody Allen, American Film Maker

2. “ Average investors who try to do a lot of trading will only make their brokers rich.”
    -Michael Jenson, Finance Professor -Harvard.

3. “ To the investment manager, soft dollars are someone else’s money and hard dollars are your own.” -Dean own.”Ibid.

4. “ Nobody works as hard for his money as the man who marries it.”
    -Kin Hubbard, 1868-1930, American Journalist.

5. “ There are three classes of people who don’t think markets work: the Cubans, the North Koreans and the active find managers.”-Rex Sinquefield, Dimensional Fund Managers.

6. “ It is difficult to find a portfolio to find a portfolio manager who will continue to provide superior performance after he is retained”-Eugene B. Burroughs

7, “ We have two classes of forecasters: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.”-Jhon Kenneth Galbraith.

8. “ The periods of boredom have grown shorter and shorter-and the terrors last a bit longer.”
    -Arthur Cashin, Floor Broker, New York Stock Exchange.

9. “ Stocks are bought on expectations, not facts.”
    -Gerald M. Loeb

10 “ I never attempt to make money on the Stock Market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day the next day not reopen it for five years.” -Warren Buffet.

12. “ Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I’II give you a man who will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I’II give you a stock clerk.” -James Cash.

13. “ Sometimes your best investments are the ones you don’t make.’ -Donald Trump.

14. “ Great investment opportunities come around when excellent companies are surrounded by unusual circumstances that cause the stock to be misappraised.” -Warren Buffet.

15. “ Gambling with cards or dice or stock is all one thing. It’s getting money without giving an equivalent for it .” Henry Ward Beecher.

16. “ Never make forecasts, especially about the future.” -Samuel Goldwin.

17. “ Sell to the sleeping point.—if you are troubled by an investment but still desire to hang onto it,sell just enough so that you can feel that you’ve ‘dealt’ with the anxiety and can calmly sleep at night, but you’ve kept enough to feel comfortable with what you have left.”

18. “ Obvious prospects for physical growth in a business do not translate into obvious profits for investors” -Ben Graham in The Intelligent Investor.

19. “Practicing the Golden Rule is not a sacrifice; it is an investment.” -Anonymous.

20. “ You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right-and that’s the only thing that makes you right.” -Warren Buffett, the world’s most successful investor.

21. “I know from experience that nobody can give me a tip or a series of tips that will make more money for me than my own judgment.” -Jesse Livermore, the greatest stock market trader who ever lived.

22. “ No matter what information you have, no matter what you are doing, you can be wrong.” -Larry Hite, Mint Investment Management Company

23. “ You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it within himself.” -Galileo Galilei.

24. “ Investment, if you like, is a math exam where the powers that be work out the answers based on new formulae they develop after your papers have been handed in.” -Dr Marc Faber, international stock market guru (famous bear).

25. “ The investor’s chief problem-and even his woarst enemy is likely to be himself.” -Peter Lynch.

26. “ The only way to “beat an index” is to invest in something other than the index. Why would you, when the only source of long-term risk and return data is the index ?” -Hebner, Mark, Founder, Index Funds Advisors, Inc.

27. “ Market Timing is a wicked idea. Don’t try it ever.” -Ellis, Charles D.

28. “ There are two kinds of investors, be they large or small: those who don’t know where the market is headed, and those who don’t know that they don’t know. Then again, there is a third type of investor –the investment professional, who indeed knows that he or she doesn’t know, but whose livelihood depends upon appearing to know.” -Bernstein, William.

29. “ Markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent” -John Maynard Keynes.

30. “ The average long-term experience in investing is never surprising, but the short term experience is always surprising. We now know to focus not on rate of return, but on the informed management of risk.” -Ellis, Charles.

31. “ Since the dawn of capitalism, there has been one golden rule: “If you want to make money, you have to take risks.” -Announncer.

32. “ If your broker [or investment advisor] is not familiar with the concept of standard deviation of returns, get a new one.” -Bernstein, William.

33. “ Investors must keep in mind that there’s a difference between a good company and a good stock. After all, you can buy a good car but pay too much for it .” -Richard Thaler.

34. “ Buy on the cannons, sell on the trumpets.” -Old French Proverb.

35. “ The four most dangerous words in investing are, It’s different this time.” -Sir John Templeton, legendary investor.

36.“ Design a portfolio you are not likely to trade… akin to premarital counseling advice; try to build a portfolio that you can live with for a long, long time.” -Robert D. Arnott, President, First Quadrant Corp.

37. “ Most investors don’t even stop to consider how much business a company does. All they look at are earnings per share and net assets per share.” -Kenneth L Fisher, stock market guru.

38. “ Investment planning is about structuring exposure to risk factors.” -Fama , Gene Jr.

39. “ Emotions are your worst enemy in the stock market.” -Don Hays.

40. “ A maket is the combined behavior of thousands of people responding to information, misinformation and whim.”
    -Kenneth Chang.

41. “ It is the part or wise man to keep himself today for tomorrow, and not venture all his eggs in one basket,” -Miguel de Carvantes

42. “ Risk is good. Not properly managing your risk is a dangerous leap” -Evel Knievel, Motorcylist.

43. “ The essence of effective portfolio construction is the use of a large number of poorly correlated assets” -William Bernstein.

44. “ Sometimes your best investments are the ones you don’t make.” -Donald Trump.

45. “ Great investment opportunities come around when excellent companies are surrounded by unusual circumstances that cause the stock to be misappraised.” -Warren Buffet.

46. “ The most predictable thing about the stock market is the number of experts who take credit for predicting it.” -Dave Weinbaum

47. “ Value Investing-The art of buying low and selling lower.” -Anon.

48. “ P/E ratio- The percentage of investors wetting their pants as this market keeps crashing.” Anon

49. “ Countless incidents have demonstrated that a dollar of reported profits can easily prove to be worth less than 100 cents once the dust has settled.” -Martin S Fridson , director, US investment bank Merrill lynch.

50. “ Every set of published accounts is based on books which have been gently cooked or completely roasted.” -lan Griffiths.

51. “ Astronomic price earnings ratios rarely last for long, as they thrive on excessive hope and for that reason the most has to be made of them while they persist.” -Jim Slater, Private client guru.

52. “It’s human nature to find patterns where there are none and to find skill where luck is a more likely explanation (particularly if your’re the lucky [mutual fund] manager).” -Bernstein,William.

53. ”To invest blindly in the TMT (Technology,Media and Telecom) sector is a bit like assuming someone’s bound to be good at cricket just because they’re Australian.” -Jonathan Maitland.

54. “ It is a myth that profits are higher in fast growing industries.” -John Kay, Economist and academic.

55. “ The children (or designated heirs) of a great CEO are about as likely to excel as replacement CEOs as are any of Beethoven’s children to write great symphonies.” -Robert A G Monks.

56. “ Everyone has the brainpower to follow the stock market. If you made it through fifth-grade math, you can do it.” -Peter Lynch.

57. “ 90 % of the people in the stock market, professionals and amateurs alike, simply haven’t done enough homework,”
    -William J.O’Neil.

58. “ I have probably purchased fifty ‘hot tips’ in my career, maybe even more. When I put them all together, I know I am a net loser.” -Charles Schwab.

59. “ The problem with the person who thinks he’s a long-term investor and imperivous to short-term gyrations is that the emotion of fear and pain will eventually make him sell badly.” -Robert Wibbelsmen.

60. “ The function of the press in society is to inform, but its role in society is to make money.” -A. J. Liebling.

http://bellthebull.com/quote-of-the-day/famous-quotes-in-stock-market/

#10     May 21, 2014