Garbled Text in ET Posts

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by toon, Mar 28, 2021.

1. toon

toon

Some special symbols in ET posts are shown as garbled text in my browsers (Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Edge etc.). For example, Symbol ' is always shown as “.

I searched on the internet to find a solution for this but did not succeed. Some said that using UTF-8 encoding can solve the problem. But it does not work in my case.

Did anybody have the same problem? How did you fix it?

wrbtrader likes this.
  2. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Do you have the same problem when you use other symbols in which results in any of the below "garble" as your refer to when in reality its just diacritic ?
    • ç – the cedilla (la cédille)
    • é – the acute accent (l'accent aigu)
    • â/ê/î/ô/û – the circumflex (l'accent circonflexe)
    • à/è/ì/ò/ù – the grave accent (l'accent grave)
    • ë/ï/ü – the trema (l'accent tréma)
    wrbtrader

toon likes this.
  3. toon

toon

Hi,

I know what you mean. But that's not my problem.

One clarification: the problem only occurs to some posts, not all the posts. Also, it happens to some ' symbols in a post, but not necessarily to all ' symbols in the same post. Here is an example:
    GabledText_0.PNG

As you can see in the screenshot, the first two ' symbols are garbled, but the third one is not. The below is the link to the post. It's post #5 in the thread.

https://www.elitetrader.com/et/threads/money-mangers-marketing.65414/

Does the same problem show up in your browser? Thanks!

4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I only have the problem on one of my laptops...the one purchased in France. It has a French keyboard but with an English language pack. I have to be careful when using that laptop to type messages in English...constantly needing to edit those messages.

In contrast, never a problem on my other laptop that's purchased from the United States or Canada.

Couldn't fix the problem but a tech guy says something went wrong with the unicode or whatever the hell the means when I switched language packs. I hate it on my other laptop...fucks with my messages too much...some symbols get garble as you call it while others do not.

At one point in time...I actually thought it was a virus.

wrbtrader

toon likes this.
  5. cesfx

cesfx

I can see the same garble... At post #5
    I don't think it's an issue on your side if limited to this post/poster

toon likes this.
  6. userque

userque

Try it with all of your extensions disabled (incognito mode...then disable any extensions).

toon likes this.
  7. toon

toon

It does not help. As cesfx said, it's more likely a problem of the post itself.

userque likes this.
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I had a similar problem when doing HTML webpage work too...uninstalling and then re-installing my language packs plus adding the words via "add to dictionary" resolved all the problems but it was a hassle.

Unfortunately, when using some forums (Elitetrader.com is not the only problem forum)...that garble crap will show up when it does not show up elsewhere. Thus, I got use to its an issue with the forum especially when the garble word shows up sometimes and not other times within the same message.

wrbtrader

toon likes this.