Getting a new dog today.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jnbadger, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Well, of course, I won't pick up a random Siamese cat I see in my backyard...that would be like trying to pickup a racoon and not get bitten and scratched. I highly doubt, anyways, I could ever catch it. I see a Siamese cat, a Calico, and a grey/blue cat from time to time cross my window. I'm in love with the Siamese one. I'd love to own two, a pair, when I move into my new home.

#21     Aug 26, 2021
  2. mlawson71

mlawson71

All cats can be mean. Often that's a fear reaction. The cat we took in from the street was always ready to fight, for the first year. Now her favourite way of sleeping is to be held like a teddybear.

#22     Aug 27, 2021
  3. Yeah, Siamese cats are cool to own. The one we had was a real killer. That cat would kill anything it could get it's claws on. And a lot of times, it would drag it's kill into the house, being proud of itself.

#23     Aug 28, 2021
  4. What's the rule regarding indoor/outdoor cats? If I release my cat to go out and adventure....will it come back?
    I get a 50/50 response online, some say it will basically run away forever or disappear, some say it will come back on its own when it chooses to,

#24     Aug 28, 2021
  5. mlawson71

mlawson71

I think it's best to keep a cat inside. Cats can be devastating to local birds - they kill them en-masse, often without eating them - and the risk for the cat to get run over by a car or poisoned by a ill-meaning human is very real. It has happened to cats I've kept. These days my cat is entirely indoors, I can't bear the thought of finding her flattened on a road somewhere. :(

#25     Aug 30, 2021
  6. Our Siamese cat was let out everyday. Otherwise, it would whine a ton and stand next to the front door all day long. :(

It would always come back later in the day. Sometimes it would let us know it was back by jumping off a tree onto the roof of the house which made a giant bang noise. Weird cat it was. LOL

#26     Aug 30, 2021
  7. People can certainly be sadistic, weird, strange, evil and creepy.
    Some people enjoy running over pets and animals, or shooting them, throwing stuff at them, aiming a laser pointer at their eyes, or trapping them, or poisoning them.

I don't know.
    I think the risks may outweigh the benefits of letting a cat roam outside the house freely. The ideal solution would be to build an escape-proof cat fence in your backyard so it can't jump away anywhere. The cat can go outside and inside freely as it wishes through a doggy/cat door.

I am a paranoid person. If the cat was roaming freely outside, my mind would be constantly racing every minute.

#27     Aug 30, 2021
  8. Overnight

Overnight

I agree with FT here, SPX Options. Siamese cats are not the most lovable cats out there. You want a fun lovable cat? Get a Maine Coon. OMG the best.

And they get big enough to be puppy-sized. Smart fuckers, too.

#28     Aug 30, 2021
  9. I love the vivid, blue, vibrant, eyes of a Siamese cat. Once it stares at you...you practically feel Hypnotized, can't move or not stare away.
    I love the class, and assertiveness, and intelligence of a Siamese. They are all Type A personalities, but still very loving and loyal to its owner.
    I am 98.8% sure, I want only a Siamese...and not any other breed of cat.

A Maine Coon is a f'n Giant...a big, heavy, very furry giant breed of a cat.
    I'm not sure I want that, or a pair, lingering around my home. You might as well just get small/medium dogs.

#29     Aug 31, 2021
  10. mlawson71

mlawson71

I'm aware. That's why I stopped letting my cats out. It was less of a concern for the neighbourhood pigeons and more concern for the cats.

#30     Aug 31, 2021