Getting past a milestone

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Amatrue, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Amatrue

Amatrue

I am having trouble getting my account value past a certain number. At first I paid little attention to it, but everytime my account goes above this number it dips back down and I'm starting to feel an effect on a psychological level.

Has anyone had this problem before and how'd you overcome it?

2. jys78

jys78

Ignore the number. Focus on process or consistency. At most, think of it as a score on a video game.

3. sef88

sef88

Focus on bringing up risk adjusted returns through diversification across asset classes, positions, ideas and strategies. Limit drawdowns

4. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Withdrawal 10%. When you get back up to your level... withdrawal another 10%. Repeat

5. sef88

sef88

Wow 10% withdrawal is high. What time frame do you expect your portfolio to grow back to original level

jys78 likes this.
  6. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

3-5 hours. Tops. The long pull is waiting for the wire transfer to clear

7. sef88

sef88

Wow then you should be putting your entire net worth + leverage into your strategy. That's what I do for my portfolio of strategies. I treat them as my ATM. But for me I target 1-3% returns per month.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  8. IAS_LLC

IAS_LLC

Dude, don't take everything so literally....the point is...if u have some arbitrary psychological barrier ...remove it. The 10% # was just the first round number that popped into my head

sef88 likes this.
  9. Amatrue

Amatrue

i will pay you to trade my money :D:D

10. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Look at it all in percentages rather than raw value. Make sure your trades sizes and P/L are also adjusted to percentages. Sometimes using a different metric helps the psychology. Hope that helps.

#10     Jan 30, 2021