Got a vacation pic?

Discussion in 'Luxury and Lifestyle' started by KCalhoun, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Timbr

Timbr

That's kinda sad. Have you tried stuff like solo camping n stuff? Maybe if you remove social interactions from your traveling it's gonna make it more enjoyable :D

#91     Nov 24, 2022
  2. M.W.

M.W.

That's what unfettered capitalism does to this world. Previously pristine places look like dumps because those who ran all the businesses to the ground and extracted all the resources left a shit holes behind in their places of origin and have now all the money to trash all the other places. All the formerly exotic places now realize they can sell out to the nouveau rich but don't realize how they destroy their ecosystems and paradises. Like the indigenous in America who thought alcohol and rifles bring about a betterment in life and sold out their pristine places which now look like shit holes because the rich came in logged all the forests, harvested all the fish, trashed all the reefs,... The Philippines even shut down entire islands and regions to foreign tourism because they started to become unlivable and became health hazards from hosting all those foreign assholes who conducted themselves like savages.

Most humans are self destructive and pull everyone around them to hell.

#92     Nov 26, 2022
    Timbr likes this.
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Yesterday we watched the SpaceX launch from the Space Coast, taking up 40 satellites for a competitor. But a paying customer is a paying customer. Nice of them.

It was one of the most spectacular views, according to those who saw several. The weather was perfect, clear blue sky and the time was exactly at sunset. The sunshine made the booster returning glowing in red. We could see the booster during the whole flight and return, another rare occasion. We live in the 21st century so these launches are quite common, 30-50 per year.
    If you are in this area, treat yourself and watch it live. Our location was the A. Max Brewer bridge in Titusville, great views both towards the launch and the sunset.

I will post a couple of my own pictures later, until that here is a video (not mine):

#93     Dec 9, 2022
    elderado, Overnight and Big AAPL like this.
  4. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

Verry cool stuff...thanks Pek

#94     Dec 9, 2022
  5. [​IMG]
    We just had an amazing vacation traveling in Switzerland, Austria and Italy. All of those countries have an amazing nature and the food in Italy is fantastic. We are planning to go back to Austria and do some snowboarding maybe.

#95     Dec 30, 2022
    elderado likes this.
  6. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

Spent the summer traveling to different parts of the world this summer but spent a while in the north suburbs of Illinois with my kids so that they can spend some time with Grandma because she's very old.

In addition, my middle child wanted to visit the Skokie Holocaust Museum because he's dating now...his first girlfriend at his private catholic school here in Québec, Canada has a very interesting ancestry background...

His girlfriend is half-Jewish and half-Chinese...French-speaking family. Her great-grandfather was one of the Austrian Jewish refugees that fled Hitler's Nazism by moving to the Shanghai ghetto.

Anyways, her great-grandfather is one of the survivors that is pictured on the wall in the below image that my son (in the picture) is reading about. The great-grandfather survived and eventually moved to Skokie, Illinois. My son would do a video (facetime) with his girlfriend at the Fountain of the Righteous to impress her that he's reading about her great-grandfather.
    • I highly recommend you stop and visit the Skokie Holocaust Museum if you're traveling through Illinois or the city of Chicago...a very impressive Museum.
    This was our first visit to a Holocaust museum of any type. My son and I became very emotional at the historical information and stories by the survivors including being able to stand inside one of the remaining train cars used to take Jews to the gas chamber. :( :( :(

Late in the evening...after visiting Grandma...we traveled to a few cemeteries in South Dakota, Illinois, Kentucky, and Texas (no pictures out of respect) to visit the gravesite of relatives very dear to my heart...all U.S. military veterans.

My son reading about his girlfriend's great-grandfather

Skokie-Holocaust-Museum.png

A Mosaic of Victims

Skokie-Holocaust-Museum-2.png

Poster of France President Charles De Gaulle covered with Swastikas

Skokie-Holocaust-Museum-4.png

Fountain Of The Righteous

Skokie-Holocaust-Museum-5.png

Remember Skokie 1978 (Protest signs when Nazis marched in Skokie, Illinois)

The protest above is a vague memory I have of the nearby suburbs of Chicago. Our family had visited one of my father's military buddies living in Skokie in 1978.

My old man loved the area a lot. We would later move from Kentucky to nearby Evanston, Illinois because of the strong history of WWII military veterans living in the area and I believe it was something my old man thought my grandfather would greatly appreciate considering my grandfather helped liberate France from Nazi control in WWII.

Another piece of history, Skokie Holocaust Museum was set up in response to the Supreme Court of America ruling that Nazis can march in Skokie as an expression of Free Speech.

Skokie-Holocaust-Museum-1.png

Skokie-Holocaust-Museum-7.png

wrbtrader

Last edited: Aug 7, 2023
    #96     Aug 7, 2023
  7. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

#97     Aug 7, 2023
  8. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

As a Veteran...I appreciate you recognizing the sacrifices many have made. More importantly I am impressed at your commitment to those that have served and perished.

#98     Aug 7, 2023
    elderado and wrbtrader like this.
  9. Big AAPL

Big AAPL

FTR

Still reading WRB

#99     Aug 7, 2023
  10. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I don't know if this is true or not, but a guy I know just got back from Iceland and he said the northern lights was such a letdown because they are actually not green when they are viewed with the naked eye. He said they were various shades of gray and the green color only comes through when viewed through a camera lens. Is that true?

#100     Aug 8, 2023