Have people stopped buying mattresses?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by zdreg, Nov 10, 2021.

1. zdreg

zdreg

or are new housing formation declining or the new generation sleeping on the floor?

2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I read in the WSJ not too long ago that we have a nationwide shortage of 1.2 million single-family homes due to covid lockdowns, labor shortages, and supply chain problems. If you use an average of 3 bedrooms per home, that's 3.6 million mattresses that would have been sold under normal circumstances. That's not even counting all the multi-unit condos, townhomes, and apartments that were put on hold and never built.

Eliteswiz and NumberZ like this.
  3. ph1l

ph1l

If those homes were built, wouldn't most of the new residents already have mattresses? Or, did they use something else?:)
    sleeping_on_bed_of_nails.gif

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I would imagine that if someone were going to buy a brand new mattress, it would be when they move into a new house for sure. But who knows? I'm sure there's a million different scenarios, but one thing is for sure, if there's 1.2 million houses that should have been built but never were, there's no doubt that would have a negative impact on the mattress business.

TrailerParkTed likes this.
  5. Overnight

Overnight

I have to agree with phil on this one. Why would an old mattress not work in a new house? I mean, sure, I suppose there are folks that would buy a new house, and have the mindset of, "Well, we're moving into a new house, so let's get fresh mattresses", but they can be expensive. Especially if you are furnishing an average of 3 bedrooms.

At least in this thread we did not mention the My Pillow guy, and how they need twice as many pillows as matre....FRAK! I mentioned it! GAH!!!

6. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Clearly you have never moved into a new house with a wife or girlfriend. Tell your female partner you want to use your old twin bed mattress from college in your new house you just purchased together in the suburbs and see what happens.

7. Overnight

Overnight

Lol, dude, not everyone who is going to move into those homes is moving from a twin from college! And maybe the people moving into the house like their old twin? It kept them closer?

Pfffh. Maybe you are thinking that you want to move from a twin to a queen or king-size because she (your mate) agrees that the extra bedspace is needed when you bring home the Bahama boat girls! roffle.

Eliteswiz and rb7 like this.
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

mattresses will scale to population rather than homes and we had excess deaths of more than 500,000 people and no real baby boom as a result of the lockdowns.

second I don’t think construction crews were subject to lockdowns. I think they were generally considered essential businesses though I’m sure their developments slowed as their crews decided unemployment was better than working and Covid would cause quarantines.

9. twstn

twstn

This is funny! This was the exact same topic we had while shorting CSPR not too long ago! Hahaha!

Baron likes this.
  10. taowave

taowave

At first glance,I thought the topic was," Have people stopped buying Mistresses"..

Shows where my head is at

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    #10     Nov 11, 2021