Here is why the world’s smart money is being invested in Brazil.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Remember that I don't know your guys' history: he might of said something about your mother for all I know. I just want him to keep posting. He's one of the 10-20% on et that posts some content. If those guys all go away, there's really no reason to be here.

#121     Jun 7, 2008
  2. Don't forget about MXF and EWW. You've got some definite negative exposure if Obregon wins in the future. He's a lot closer to Hugo Chavez than Calderon and will probably set the country back about 20 years. They also have a problem with their consitition: it limits foreign investment, etc. And, as you probably know, they have a major, major problem with the cartels. The cartels just assassinated the equivalent of our head of the CIA or Homeland Security with no repercussions whatsoever...

#122     Jun 7, 2008
  3. .

June 8, 2008

SouthAmerica: Reply to ShoeshineBoy

I posted the following on this forum in May 2005 as part of a discussion with a college professor. By the way if you never had the chance of reading that thread it is worth reading it from todays' perspective looking back to what was said 3 years ago about the coming years. The college professors’ name was Sir Scud.
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=756082&highlight=Sir+Scud#post756082

This thread was about economics but for some reason it was moved to the politics and religion forum.

Quoting from that thread: “I am used to people’s reactions to my writings. I receive a lot of emails, some nice, and some from people giving me a hard time.

Last year the editor of the Brazilian newspaper in New York, told me that I am the most controversial writer he has on the newspaper. Usually he goes to all the functions they have in New York related to Brazil; parties, lectures, all kind of shows - he covers everything - and he knows everybody in the Brazilian community in New York. He told me that most of the time when people approached him at these functions and started talking about an article published on his newspaper usually was one of mine articles.”

The editor of Brazzil magazine also said the same thing to me a few years ago – he said I was the most controversial writer he had on the magazine. And my articles usually generated the largest number of letters to the editor, and many readers send me emails directly to me regarding many of these articles.

Maybe because of human nature a large number of people who usually send a comment regarding the articles are the ones who got pissed about the content of the article for one reason or another and that served as an incentive for them to take the time to write a letter to the editor, or an email directly to me. But I also get very rewarding letters from very smart people such as well known writers from various countries (Including from England, Australia, Brazil, Denmark, the United States and from Asia) and college professors from top notch US, European and Brazilian Universities - and that makes all the difference.

I realized that a lot of very smart and intelligent people were reading my articles and they contact me to let me know with their comments and with notes saying that they enjoyed so much reading the article that they were sending a copy of the article to some of their friends.

A little over 3 years ago I created an account and started posting stuff on the Elite Trader Forum and at that time there were around 25,000 members registered on this forum.

Around the same time (May 2005) I compiled a list of emails of every college professor of the Economic Departments, and Business Schools – Undergrad and Graduate schools – from the top 20 ranked economic departments of American universities. We are talking about 20 top universities times an average of 50 teachers per school – a list of about 1,000 economic professors including all kinds of influential people (book writers, and economic professors who had the chance to work for all levels of government, and so on) also including all the teachers that won the Economics Nobel Prize.

About 3 years ago I started sending an email directly to everybody on this particular list with a copy of my articles and I also included some links to some of the information that I had posted on the Elite Trader Forum. My email also had a little note promoting the Elite Trader website as a great place for students to go to learn about anything related to the US financial markets.

I figured that each teacher had at least 5 classes with an average of 15 students per class to be on the conservative side that gives a potential 75,000 new eyeballs checking the discussions on Elite Trader – and if you consider that all these professors and their students mentioned about this cool website to their friends and the other teachers – the potential to bring a few hundred thousand new members to this forum was there.

It is not by chance that the number of members on this forum increased from 25,000 members 3 years ago to the current figure of about 105,000 registered members. Elite Trader used to show the number of registered members on the page were you Log in until about 2 weeks ago then the information disappeared, but at the time when they stopped showing that information this forum had about 105,000 registered members.

I bet thousands of members registered on this forum found this website because of my direct promotional efforts. I don't understand why Elite Trader Forum stopped showing the number of registered members?

ShoeshineBoy, as you said on your posting there is only 10 to 20 percent of postings content that are worth reading it, but my goal was to bring in as many smart people as possible to this forum I also posted many times info about this forum on The Charlie Rose Show and posted replies in The Financial Times were I also mentioned this forum.

But along the way I understand that we are also going to get some idiots such as Trader Zones or some religious freaks such as a person who uses the name Jesus on his postings on this forum and he is trying to imply that he has the word of God. That person probably escaped from some mental institution.

Anyway, thanks for your support and I would be disappointed if you did agree with most of my points of view. If you agree with my points of view only 60 percent of the time that would be just fine with me – I don’t want anyone to agree with me 100 percent of the time.

I am going to tell you a secret just between us – usually when I meet many of my Brazilian friends most of them usually take Brazil apart about everything – they complain about everything in sight and they trash my country from the economy to the politics, to crime and so on. I am the only one who is always defending Brazil and trying to show to all these people all the positive sides of the things that are happening in Brazil and how Brazil is prospering and becoming a great place.

#123     Jun 8, 2008
  4. Shoe, this is the real problem with this poster. He tries to come across as a knowledgeable source promoting Brazil.

In reality, he is a propagandist, and will say anything to do his Yay Brazil, Boo USA

This is an earlier exchange we had on one of his other threads:

FROM ME

COMPARISON OF THE AMERICAN AND BRAZILIAN ECONOMIES:

GDP per capita:
    US $43,444
    Brazil $9,531

Unemployment
    US 4.8%
    Brazil 9.6%

Population below poverty line
    US 12.8%
    Brazil 29.3%

FROM southamerica: (REPLY 1)

Unemployment

US = 5.1% ...Note: Plus over 5 million people who can’t find a job, but are classified as “discouraged workers.”

Real US unemployment adjusted for discouraged workers.

US = 10.0%

Brazil = 9.6%

FROM southamerica: (REPLY 2)

There was an official measure of 7.7 million unemployed in the U.S. as of March 2008 after we adjust for the above extra 20.5 million people not included on the US government data then the adjusted number of unemployed people in the United States is 28 million people and the actual unemployment rate is around 19 percent as of March 2008. Sorry, if I forgot to include on the above information some of the new creative ways the US government uses to fudge the unemployment rate numbers and keep the unemployment as low as the US government can get away with.
    Actual unemployment rates after some rational adjustments:

United States = 19.0%
    Brazil = 9.6%

He manages to turn a US unemployment rate that is half the brazilian, into one that is double. In his happy world, the brazilian government is free of the problems that America and all other countries apparently "suffer" with regards to govt stats.

Much of what he says is patently untrue, but he continues to babble away, hoping some people will be charmed.

The truth is, Brazil is little more than a very large Banana Republic

#124     Jun 8, 2008
  5. .
    June 8, 2008

SouthAmerica: The Financial Times (UK) had a front-page story over the weekend “Oil stages biggest single-day advance.” – Crude closes $ 10 higher at near $ 140 a barrel – US unemployment report sparks frenzy.

“…The US reported the biggest rise in unemployment in 22 years – to 5.5 per cent in May….”

Just imagine how the stock market and the oil market would react if they were using the real unemployment figures for the US economy of over 12 percent. (The 12 percent US unemployment figures is a conservative estimate the real unemployment rate is probably even higher.)

Let’s check which country is the real “Banana Republic”.

In the last five years The Brazilian real (the Brazilian currency) went from $ 4 reais to US$ 1 when Lula became Brazilian president to today’s $ 1.65 reais to US$ 1.

In the last 6 years the US dollar also went from US$ .82 cents equal Euro $ 1 to the current exchange rate of US$ 1.58 equal Euro $ 1.

The US dollar lost more than half its value against the Brazilian currency in the last 5 years and about half its value against the euro.

You should read the following thread to better understand which country is the real “Banana Republic” or the biggest scam artist in the history of the world:

The US dollar and the biggest default in history.
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121313&perpage=6&pagenumber=1

Brazil did something about its oil dependency in the last 30 years and today Brazil is almost isolated from the new oil shock, on the other hand the United States is more dependent than ever on foreign oil. The oil producing countries of the world have the United States on its knees and without any leverage.

Today the Brazilian government is in terrific shape financially, as the US Treasury Secretary goes around the Middle East hat on hand begging for money to keep US financial institutions afloat.

If you think all this information is propaganda then you are a bigger Moron and more stupid than I thought.

#125     Jun 8, 2008
  6. Funny that you live in the USA and keep promoting

Brazil. You already voted with your feet,

"MORON" - to use a word you seem to favor

#126     Jun 8, 2008
  7. And to repeat - we have already demonstrated the brazilian concept of job development and private enterprise:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#127     Jun 8, 2008
    #128     Jun 8, 2008
  9. By the way, I missed this little nugget in your earlier oil quote:

Brazil's state-controlled Petroleo Brasileiro SA will need to enlist international producers such as Exxon Mobil Corp. to raise financing for the platforms and pipelines required to reach crude trapped beneath six miles (10 kilometers) of water and rock,

Ah, and thank you for that . I am ROFL!!! Brazil is incapable of tapping its own oil! Let Exxon Mobil come in and help you open the can of beans.

You do know, that for all intensive purposes, Exxon Mobil is an American company?

Such a pity, the little Banana Republic cannot use its own resources. It isn't like torching the Amazon, which is much easier for them to accomplish...

I also remember you railing against the American space program. Here is a Russian spy photo I found of the latest Brazilian space program research effort:

[​IMG]

#129     Jun 8, 2008
  10. I agree with anyone, you in this case, who says employment is in the 5-10% range here. There's no way it is 20% in the US. I believe those are pre-euro Western European levels. And, as Americans, we both know that people drag themselves after paying a year's salary to some coyote across deserts and mountains to make it over here - it's still a great country and the US is still a job-making machine.

But, in my case, anything I can learn about global economics and politics can make me money. And SA posts some good informational content and I appreciate it.

#130     Jun 8, 2008