Here is why the world’s smart money is being invested in Brazil.

Discussion in 'Economics' started by SouthAmerica, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Thx for doing a little "advertising" for et!

Btw, the way I see it:

You don't need to defend Brazil to your friends or to anyone on et. There is no resource rich country on planet earth and it is well-managed from a central bank perspective overall. You put those two together and in twenty years Brazil will be a powerhouse whether anyone likes it or not.

We Americans have a puffed up attitude because we are responsible for so much of the world's technology. But that really doesn't matter: Rockefeller got filthy rich off of simple stuff like oil and railroads and Brazil will do the same...

#131     Jun 8, 2008
  2. As soon as Bush is gone and another President comes in to fix the mess, SA will have little else to say. He'll go away. He's mainly anti-Bush (like most of us).

#132     Jun 8, 2008
  3. .
    ShoeshineBoy: Thx for doing a little "advertising" for et!

June 8, 2008

SouthAmerica: I did a lot of advertising for ET in the last 3 years, but my goal was to bring a group of very smart people to participate of the discussions on this forum. That is why I targeted only the top 20 ranked Economic departments and Graduate Schools in the United States.

And many of the top US universities have very influential people working as professors on these schools. They publish books, they write articles for major newspapers, some worked for the Fed at some point on their careers and on other government agencies, and many are quoted by the mainstream media about their opinions about all kinds of subjects – and some of these universities also have on their staff some Economic Nobel Prize winners.

I did target a specific audience because I enjoy having a conversation or a discussion with this type of very smart people.

If some of the economic professors mentioned or brought up in class on the screen the Elite Trader website – They could bring their students in direct contact with many traders on this forum who have actual experience trading in all kinds of financial instruments available today. The young guys studying economics and business could learn and ask questions from experts on this board or just by reading some of the information posted on this forum.

Trader Zones is too stupid to grasp what I am talking about, since his intellectual level is as low as of most high school dropouts – the ones who can’t keep up with the work level because they don’t have the minimum intellectual capacity necessary to do the work.

If you have been reading my articles over the years then you know that I mentioned many things before the mainstream media realized what was going on, or I wrote about the direction of things and gave the reasons why for these forecasts, and many of them came to past about the US dollar, price of gold, and interest rate.

My article about Brazil and Saudi Arabia caught the eyes not only of the people from the Brazilian government but also from the Saudi Arabian government – and since that time many bridges have been built between Brazil, Saudi Arabia, and other oil producing countries of the Middle East.

I have been writing for years about China’s influence in South America including in Brazil – and it seems to me that only recently the US mainstream media realized what is going on in that area of the world.

Basically if you have been reading my articles on a regular basis then you have learnt of a lot things away ahead of the pack.

#133     Jun 8, 2008
  4. TZ has a master's in comp sci, and knows you delude yourself into thinking other people are stupid enough to accept your continuous spin.

I have several Brazilian friends who live HERE by the way. One says, people come here to get real jobs. Back home since he has a HS degree only, it is pretty much the family farm in southeast brazil if he wants to eat.

One spoke of working on a gold mine on a tributary of the Amazon. These people basically wash out the hills with high power hoses, destroying the banks. Then they poison the local waterways by adding large amounts of mercury to separate out the gold.

southamerica lives here also. He knows the reality, but continues twisting facts and distorting truth

So, what kind of job is awaiting YOU when you return? Or do you have to stay HERE to get a real job?

NOW GETTING BACK TO THE QUESTION YOU IGNORE FROM A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. YOU SAID YOU FIGURED A HUGE NUMBER OF BRAZILIANS WERE HERE ILLEGALLY. HOW MANY AMERICANS DO YOU THINK ARE IN BRAZIL ILLEGALLY TO HAVE A BETTER JOB/LIFE?

#134     Jun 9, 2008
  5. It's a great idea, but the problem is that the internet brings out a lot of low level chest-thumping, nut-scratching behaviors that aren't going to attract economics types. They're going to hash out their thoughts with other students and profs. But keep trying - I guess you never know...

#135     Jun 9, 2008
  6. .

“Saab pinning its hopes on moving Gripen to Brazil”
    People's Daily Online - China
    July 08, 2009

LONDON: Saab AB, the Swedish maker of the Gripen jet fighter, is ready to make Brazil the manufacturing center for the aircraft to increase its chances of winning a $1.8 billion order and safeguard the model's future.

Saab is prepared to shift as much as 50 percent of future Gripen production to the South American country, where the main competition to provide 36 warplanes is from Boeing Co's F/A- 18, Bob Kemp, marketing chief for the $50 million plane, said. Final assembly work has already been offered to Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica SA, or Embraer, he said.

Saab is betting on the Brazilian order to rescue the flagship Gripen as the production backlog shrinks. Winning the contract, which may be awarded as early as next month, is crucial to establishing the model as the warplane of choice in markets not already dominated by Boeing and Lockheed Martin Corp., which is grabbing market share with its F-35.

"Maybe in the future Brazil will become the leading exporter of the next-generation Gripen," Kemp said by telephone from Linkoeping, Sweden, where Saab is based. "This fits perfectly with their strategic ambitions. We are looking at six or seven major defense companies that have the potential of offering equipment for our aircraft."

Brazil's defense ministry said that final bids for the contract were submitted last month from Boeing, Saab and France's Dassault Aviation SA, which is pitching the Rafale. The air force will make a recommendation to Defense Minister Nelson Jobim in early August, with the final decision in the hands of President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.

Saab may be able to fend off Boeing because it's able to transfer more technology to Brazil than the Chicago-based company, Kemp said, adding that the Gripen costs about 20 percent less than the more-sophisticated F/A-18 and is better matched to Brazil's need for a low-maintenance fighter able to operate in small numbers from widely dispersed airfields. Spare parts and maintenance may also cost one-third less, he said.

While Brazil's initial requirement is to replace a batch of aging Mirage jets made by Paris-based Dassault, the country may need as many as 120 planes, Kemp said, each with a life of as many as 40 years.

"In terms of value for money the Gripen is a superb aircraft, but Saab is at a terrible disadvantage in not having a strong home market," said Richard Aboulafia, vice-president at Teal Group, a Fairfax, Virginia-based consultancy.

While the model has so far won 250 orders, 204 of them are from Sweden, where some planes have been leased out as the government reins in defense spending.

The future of the 1,320 mile-per-hour plane will be determined by purchases in Brazil, India and Switzerland within the next 18 months, Aboulafia said. Saab may need to provide more inducements because it can't match the offset work that Boeing can offer in fields such as civil aerospace, he said.

Brazil would be granted a full 50-50 partnership on development, production and marketing of the Gripen for export, the executive said, including the manufacture of high-value communications, display and avionics systems.

Saab has so far won only two export contracts for the Gripen, with South Africa buying 26 planes and Thailand taking six. Deliveries will run out in 2012 and output is down to 10 to 12 aircraft a year from about 15 previously, with suppliers including Volvo Aero, maker of the Gripen's RM12 engine, already winding down production.

Source: China Daily/Agencies

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90778/90858/90865/6696335.html

#136     Jul 8, 2009
  7. .

August 20, 2009

SouthAmerica: In many ways Brazil already has in place the IT of the future.

Brazil has a state-of-the-art national integrated voting system in tune with the 21st century as compared with the United States that still has a good presidential election voting system that is in tune at best with the late 20th century.

“IBM Bets on Brazilian Innovation” - Big Blue's new initiative to stimulate development of Brazil's nascent tech industry is the latest sign of the country's rising power
    By Spencer E. Ante
    Business Week
    August 17, 2009

Over the last few years, China and India have emerged as the twin hot spots of emerging tech innovation. Now IBM (IBM) is betting that one of the next big technology stars will be Brazil.

In the latest sign of Brazil's rising power, Big Blue is announcing on Aug. 18 a new initiative to stimulate the development of the country's technology sector. To kick off the effort, IBM is hosting its first-ever forum for venture capitalists and entrepreneurs in São Paulo along with FINEP, the Brazilian government agency that finances technology development. The daylong event will bring together more than 100 investors and dozens of new companies looking for investment and business advice.

IBM is also launching a Portuguese version of its developerWorks Web site, which provides free programs and online teaching guides that help programmers build skills in the Java programming language, the Linux operating system, and IBM products such as Lotus. To host the event, IBM has dispatched Claudia Fan Munce, managing director of IBM Venture Capital Group, and Steve Mills, senior vice-president and group executive of IBM's $20 billion Software Group, a clear sign of the growing importance of Brazil to the IBM portfolio.

"We have been watching Brazil for a while," says Munce, who grew up in Brazil. "The time is right."

Eyeing Opportunity

In the past, Brazil has been hobbled by hyperinflation, rampant political corruption, and failed fiscal and monetary policies. But with a growing and stable economy in recent years, multinational corporations such as IBM and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and venture capital and private equity players now see additional opportunity for technology innovation in the sun-drenched nation. "That potential is there," says Mills. "The university systems are strong. There is a level of interest in entrepreneurship that is growing."

Investors increasingly see Brazil as an attractive destination. As of the end of 2008 nearly 150 local and foreign investment firms had committed $28 billion in venture and private equity capital to Brazilian companies, according to the Brazilian Association for Private Equity & Venture Capital. That's up from $6 billion in 2004, amounting to a hearty 50% compound annual growth rate over the last four years. Investors have financed 500 Brazilian companies to date with venture or private equity capital, and there's $12 billion left to invest over the next few years from that $28 billion kitty.

Still, the country's business challenges, including high taxes and restrictive labor laws, could hamper growth. And native businesspeople say a Silicon Valley-like ecosystem where risk and creative thinking in technology are the norm remains elusive. "We do not have an ecosystem in place," says Berthier Ribiero-Neto, head of Google's (GOOG) Latin American research and development center, which is based in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. "Most of the students go to work for the outsourcing companies. I would like to see more product development."

The IBM initiative is designed to help remedy some of those issues. The idea is to serve as a matchmaker and coach to the growing number of companies IBM works with in Brazil. In fact, IBM's Munce says that among the so-called BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, and China), Brazil is seeing the highest growth in business partners that IBM works with, averaging 150% year over year.

Tapping into Brazil

To help its partners raise money, IBM will introduce them to dozens of local and foreign private investors at the forum, including Intel Capital, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Rio Bravo, and Darby Overseas Investments. And to design, build, and market new technologies for their businesses, IBM will invite its several thousand Brazilian business partners to visit its Innovation Center in São Paulo, which opened in February. At the center, entrepreneurs can gain access to training courses, consulting services, and technical seminars. "The center will help us tap into this huge growth market," says Munce.

Humberto Matsuda, founding partner with Performa Investimentos, a new Brazilian venture capital firm, says the IBM forum is a significant event for his country. "We are very excited to see how IBM will become a player in this industry," says Matsuda, who is closing an $8 million fund, with 40% of its capital coming from FINEP. "It is a very significant event, given the size of the players."

Matsuda, who helped IBM draw up a list of companies to invite to the forum, says startups have been hobbled in the recent past by a lack of capital and experienced entrepreneurs. But he says the IBM event is important because it will help foster more investment, training, and networking in the technology community. "They will make introductions to potential clients and offer training and services," says Matsuda. "You have to use a key player like IBM to teach companies."

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2009/tc20090817_998497.htm

Comment section following the article at the Business Week website.

Henry Johns
    Aug 18, 2009 8:24 PM GMT

Not sure why this writer would call the Brazilian IT industry "nascent," which means coming or having recently come into existence. Brazil has one of the largest IT industries in the world. The Brazilian IT industry built one of the most advanced banking systems in the world, a java-based national health care system and national voting system. They support not only large government systems but also the transportation system for a country as large as the U.S., an automobile industry, jet manufacturing, petro industry, mining, and more.

This is not a poor developing country that needs the help of IBM. If Brazil is not careful the cash rich Indian and multi-national outsourcing companies will buy the best of their industry.

#137     Aug 20, 2009
  8. i am not sure about Brazil and IT. Also doubts about India.... Just too lazy, i guess. Genuinely good programmers I know are all from Russia...

#138     Aug 20, 2009
  9. What I personnaly think is sad for Brazil and the world, is the lost of the forest... In my own opinion it's the most precious asset that Brazil has. For only one reason : Human can't grow forest... so it's an invaluable asset.

However, as every diamond, it doesn't shine without light. The forest has so much wealth ( genetical diverstity, new proteins, peace of the trees, providing a living habitat to people... ). But stupid, greedy people can't see this light... for them there is only the $... hahah not the Real.

Then after their looting, they will buy big home, behind big fence and armed guardS. But in their Off-shore bank account, there will be the shame, of having detroyed what millions of years of preservation created.

The people who before where living in total harmony with their forest are now in the favellas... being ready to work... Before they were true FREEMEN, they were living free life. Destroying the way of life of other human is sad... As the culture, belief, truth of theses people will be lost... That's the forest who made who they are...

#139     Aug 20, 2009
  10. Southamerica : is it true ?

" LAND TENURE LAWS—In Brazil, colonists and developers can gain title to Amazon lands by simply clearing forest and placing a few head of cattle on the land. As an additional benefit, cattle are a low-risk investment relative to cash crops which are subject to wild price swings and pest infestations. Essentially cattle are a vehicle for land ownership in the Amazon. "
    :confused:

#140     Aug 20, 2009