High fat, lower carb diet (grain free)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by R. Raskolnikov, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Hey everyone,

Over the last week I've experimented with eliminating grains from my diet and replacing them with healthy fats; such as grass fed beef/butter, eggs, and olive oil.. The science seems to have shifted recently, away from the low fat/high carb diet of the 80's and 90's towards this low carb/higher fat way of eating as a way to best fuel your body and brain. I must say, it's been quite amazing so far in terms of my constant energy level and mental clarity. No longer do I get any significant hunger pains around meal time. Blood sugar is totally stable and I've even lost a couple lbs so far.

Anyone else subscribe to this type of eating lifestyle (I will refrain from using the word "diet")? So far, I'm a big fan.

2. Damn, I realize I used "diet" in the thread title...ooops :)

3. SIUYA

SIUYA

FWIW
    I eat what ever carbs, fat, olive oils, cheese, bread, beer and wine etc; that comes my way, never really ever needing to restrict food intake.
    The one thing that struck a chord and works for me recently - cut out sugar and a lot of fructose. (I read some book while staying at a friends place http://www.sarahwilson.com.au/)
    Lost the sugar cravings, weight stabilized and dropped (previously never really a problem except with age) and realised just how much sugar is added to everything.
    It means I dont need to give up the stuff i really like and only watch the stuff I no longer crave.
    As someone who has always had a sweet tooth its amazing I can now walk down the shops without stopping for cookies and chocolates.

4. The atkins type diet works for losing fat but I felt like shit while doing it. And I don't think it is healthy in the long term. For me I know it's not good.

5. Lowtech

Lowtech

I think Grains in general just are not good for you in general, the body has not had nearly enough time to evolve to a point where that sort of thing would be easily digested. I might also just be full of shit. My body seems to do ok on the stuff though.

You need to watch out for refined stuff mainly, that wreaks havoc on your blood sugar.

Keep it up man!

6. I'm a big proponent of eating what makes you feel good. And cutting our grains, greatly reducing sugar and eating full fat products (grass fed beef/butter, full fat yogurt, cheese etc) has been wonderful thus far on feeling full of energy and greater mental clarity. But if you tried a similar approach and you felt poorly while doing it, then your body must be trying to tell you something.

I'm only a week in and I'm really liking what I've seen thus far. The best part is the no food cravings. Just eat when I get a slight urge but overall I have to look at the clock to determine if it's meal time whereas before my stomach always alerted me!

Also, full fat products are delicious and they really keep you satisfied. I don't have to eat much and I'm good to go for many hours.

7. It's amazing how fast the body can reorient itself. It only took me about 3 days, and then I had zero cravings for bread, pasta or sweets.

Also, I'd like to add that I've been eating a decent amount of spinach and broccoli too, not just meat and eggs and cheese.

Also, no potatoes, too starchy.

8. I had to cut out whole grain products a couple of years ago, they were giving me horrible acid reflux, I though I was going to die a couple of times. Bread doesn't bother me, it was the whole grain cereals and if I eat too large a serving of beans that causes problems. Too bad sweets, beer & pizza don't make me sick ;).

9. It's not only about a food or group of foods making you overtly ill but rather foods that make you a bit foggy, or sleepy or lethargic etc. For me, grains, especially whole wheat is a killer in terms of my energy and concentration. I can eat a 20 oz steak and a side of greens and be totally fine to trade or read an article that requires some thinking but when I'd eat pasta or bread, I'd get sleepy and lazy. Ironically, I don't have much of an issue with rice, as long as I don't overdo it and balance it with a predominant amount of protein.

I came across this blog that has a lot of interesting articles/opinions etc regarding this type of eating lifestyle:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz2v1IFWuqm

Worth a look if your are interested.

10. I've been familiar with Mark Sisson's stuff for 15 years. It works for him he looks like a young man still.

Edit: another thing that I had to stop taking was fish oil, I wasn't digesting that well. Now I eat fish a two or three times a week.

#10     Mar 4, 2014