How do you determine when to follow the trend or counter it?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by K-Rock, Dec 31, 2005.

1. K-Rock

K-Rock

I’m not looking for it, but want to avoid (being on the wrong side) those occasional freight trains.

#31     Jan 1, 2006
  2. cnms2

cnms2

Probably that's why K-Rock writes:
    "I’m just looking for a better way to mitigate risk, for a counter trend method that is working well for me."

#32     Jan 1, 2006
  3. bighog

bighog Guest

The ES is loaded with trends, daytraders heaven. Let me ask a decent question: Many say thye ES is nix -good, but yet they say the YM, ER2 are tradable.......WELL, WHY is all the volume in the ES? The ER2 is to thin to trade for young blood traders, the YM is coming along and i have not much complaints there, BUT, the ES is the "BIGGEST banana in the BUNCH".

Here is my opinion on trading the Ym rather than the ES, if it works for you then great.

But, the proverbial BUT....If a person has problems trading the ES for whatever reason. HOW can they in the same sentence say the YM or the er2 is so much easier? I am clueless on that one.

The person making such a statement apparently has not perfected the signals necessary to trade anything yet, i mean corn can be a loser if not traded properly.....:eek:

Ok, you say you have a good plan and the signals are valid, fine and dandy.....so then the question is ...Do you follow your signals? Do you follow your signals like you were a raw recruit in the MILITARY? IF NOT, try this to improve your discipline: Pretend you are a new puppy in the Army, you will learn discipline to the tee or else you get a dishonorable discharge, period.

Now pretend a SIGNAL is the same as an order being barked to you from the ugly, foul mouthed lifer of a SGT who is in charge of taking you out of your mommies lap and turning you into a heartless no thinking order following machine......:D

The next time a "SIGNAL" comes up and tells you to go long or short or tells you to flat out reverse your position and you disobey the "SIGNAL_ORDER" you report your ass to KP duty at 0130 am hours and get to work private.......:mad:

after a few days like that you will (would ) be obeying all the signals. If not, be prepared to be thrown out and dishonored....BUMMER..In trading it is called OBEY OR LOSE....:D

#33     Jan 1, 2006
  4. Moneystream, the product of
    (price change)(above average volume)
    modified to time frame, relative to market/group RSI, RS.

#34     Jan 1, 2006
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

#35     Jan 1, 2006
  6. If u are looking for trending mkts, bonds are the best imo; if u run some stats on vol in different timeframes, u can see ZB is perfect for entering in pre-mkt and exiting @close.

#36     Jan 1, 2006
  7. Ebo

Ebo

Bonds are truely wonderful!

#37     Jan 1, 2006
  8. WARNING: All commentary from a poster describing Liz Clayman as a BIMBO is to be taken with a very large grain of saltpeter.

#38     Jan 1, 2006
  9. LMeyers

LMeyers

#39     Jan 2, 2006
  10. ===========
    krock, have a crocodile comment later on for you;
    Modified your trend question by putting trend ahead of/higher;
    than counter trend, in sentence structure & in trading:cool:

Could write a book mostly on trends ,some have ;
    and on writing,
    may want to keep record of trend verses countertrend profits

:D

a] among the better ways to measure a trend =50 day ma &
    50 period moving average.

b]20 period ma &
    21 period ma. Not exactly rocket science, but down to earth/practical.

c]Consider context-bull or bear market, & 50 & 20 ,21ma;
    consider lots of trend study, consider price above ma maybe bullish........

c again] Consider trend=friend;
    consider Crocodile or countertrend isn't much of a friend.
    Long story short, trends maybe good area to study.

Wisdom is profitable to direct.
    :cool:

#40     Feb 12, 2006