How long can a scalp trade last? How quick can a swing trade be?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by easymon1, Nov 25, 2021.

1. easymon1

easymon1

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  2. Generally speaking;

High frequency trading: trades last seconds or less
    Scalping: seconds to minutes
    Day Trading: minutes to an hour
    Swing Trading: several days to several weeks
    Position Trading: several weeks to several months
    Investing: Positions held longer than a year

3. rb7

rb7

I don't think that the definition of different type of 'trading' should be done solely based on the duration of opened position. Nor by the number of trades on a specific period.

I disagree with most of the definitions you provided.

4. Handle123

Handle123

I believe there is a huge difference between scalping and swing trading, in swing you can build up necessary skills to achieve consistent profits, often times profits are far greater than risk.

Scalping to be consistent and make better than decent living, better be well seasoned trader, intense focus, leasing or owning a seat at exchange to get lowest fees. I have no clue what forex strategies, there was no forex in 1978 when I started trading long term stocks, only scalping was done in the future pits. In automation there is set risk, but manually seldom used a protective stops and all trades risk has been far greater than profits. You get so good at reading charts, understanding price rotation, cycles, slopes, it is a 6th sense of when to the plug on bad trade. Trading on a laptop, can be anywhere, make in one hour more than most people make in a year. I never thought any of this could happen 43 years ago. But one gives up much to become well versed in scalping, am at a Starbucks, girlfriend 1880 miles away. Used computers so much required carpal tunnel surgeries and doing rehab now.

I often think much of what is copied and posted on ET is done by writers of the markets and people who don't physically trade.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

MACD, beginner66 and SimpleMeLike like this.
  5. deaddog

deaddog

Deaddog Version:

A day trade is closing a position the same day I enter it because it hit my stop.

A swing trade is closing a position after a day/week or two because it meets my exit criteria.

A position trade is holding on to or adding to a position because it hasn't met my exit criteria.

A long term trade is one that hasn't given me a reason to sell yet. These are risk free trades as the stop is now well above the entry price. I hope that every trade turns out to be a long term trade, that's where the money is made.

Lou Friedman likes this.
  6. Good Evening Handle123,

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Happy Thanksgiving

7. padutrader

padutrader

easymon1 likes this.
  8. padutrader

padutrader

as they say those who cant do, teach.

i agree.

but i do not conclude that what these non traders post is useless or fraudulent.

a good trader is a bad teacher....he can only teach his own method

he does not have a big experience of losing

so he has no clue about doing wrong things...and so he does not know what is wrong and in that case he cannot correct others.

teaching someone who has been losing for 5-10 years, it is needed to locate what he is doing wrong and a trader with no experience of losing , is ill equipped to do that

Tokenz likes this.
  9. MACD

MACD

10. A scalp trade can last for a few seconds to a few minutes and a swing trade lasts for a few days or a few weeks. Scalping demands continuous action while a swing trader is not required to monitor his trades all day, which makes swing trading less stressful and suitable for part-time traders as well.

#10     Nov 29, 2021