How long should you backtest a day trading strategy?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by xm020-2959, Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been experimenting using free trials of some ninjatrader scripts have found that some of them were profitable in the long run (one year) but had some positive and negative months in the process. This concerns me, shouldn't a day trading script be positive every day? Think about the math here, suppose you make 100 trades a day and half of them fail. As long as you are making 3 dollars for every dollar you lose you will be positive at the end of the day. There shouldn't be good days and bad days, or even an entire bad month for that matter.

Can anyone refer me to some reliable (premium) strategies for NT 8? I'm not looking to get rich here, I would be happy to earn just 1% a day reliably.

Because this forum won't let me post replies but will let me post topics for some reason, I have to edit the original post.

"Making 1% a day is the equivalent of finding the exact high and low of the e-mini S&P500...every single day!"

Who do you take me for? Of course I'm using leverage, it is impossible to make any kind of sizable gains day trading without leverage. Look, I'm going to go back to forex factory. I thought this was an elite trading group, but apparently you don't even understand what leverage is so theres no point for me to even ask for advice with strategy testing. It's way past your level. Good day sir.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Tradex

Tradex

A trading system with a 3 to 1 risk-reward ratio and a 50% winning rate does not exit, unless you have found the Holy Grail!

1% a day you said?

Most traders would be happy to earn 1% a month consistently (about 12.7% a year on a compound basis).

As a reminder most fund managers cannot even trail the S&P 500 (about 10% a year).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    walter739, dennis86, Bugsy and 2 others like this.
  3. lindq

lindq

LMAO!

Gosh, why stop at just 1% a day?

4. Thats because they are managing millions of dollars if not billions of clients' money. Its harder to grow a million dollars into a billion, than it is $10K into a million. I have backtested a strategy that demonstrates the potential of this kind of growth in a few years.

murray t turtle likes this.
  5. Who do you take me for? Of course I'm using leverage, it is impossible to make any kind of sizable gains day trading without leverage. Look, I'm going to go back to forex factory. I thought this was an elite trading group, but apparently you don't even understand what leverage is so theres no point for me to even ask for advice with strategy testing. It's way past your level. Good day sir.

6. Tradex

Tradex

Ponzi schemes usually promise that kind of return.

7. You have no idea the power of compounding. That's how people become filthy rich.

8. %%
    With all do respect he maybe can do that/I've made5% a week before/7% a 5day week before.
    Say you get 2oo trading days per year +we are no math expert 'cause there are not exactly 200trading days per year. And5%-7% a week is not 1%/day for 200 days.
    About 20% beat the s&p 500/spy; but another big problem/it is mostly a different 20% every year.
    1% every day is much more than 200% per year.ONLY in theory can any catch the hi/low everyday/LOL. Another problem if you got more than 200%/or even199% in 200 days /most likely blow up/LOL
    Inverse etf made 200% in less than200 days, past 52weeks; much better than7%/week; but only liars catch the bottoms/tops all the time. Bull/bear cycle is fine for any test/4-10 years...…………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

9. fan27

fan27

Most of us have been where you are at when we first started trading...."Look at this equity curve..if I would have invested $10,000 with leverage, I would be a millionaire by now!" Go live with your strategy and you will likely find the reality to be much different.

10. %%
    Partly true xmo200;
    but most funds are billions/smaller funds= hundreds of millions. IF you blow up/in my case ground down an account by daytrading==to zero/goose egg.Its a warning sign/wrong.
    Get you some 5-7% weeks swing/position trading;
    anything over10-12 % is real good.[Professional fund managers shoot for
    10-12%, not per week/you may do that some; its 10-12% per year+ for best 20% fund managers...……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….Frankly its easy to turn 10k into a million or more/decades of time.Don Bright Daytrading Co had @ least one millionaire/very uncommon.One account blow up/goose egg is a warning sign/wrong

#10     Aug 30, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.