how much cost to have us stocks 1m candles

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Ivano, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Ivano

Ivano

Hi traders/devs have a lovely week end
    as developer I want to get alert (not necesserly an execution) based on SP500 and IWM Russel 2000 stocks, so that when WHATEVER particular stock out 3000 satisfies my algo I get a notification reliable and the cheapest one.

I want reliable data so I thought Interactive Broker Api would be my choice, but I do not understand how much would cost to implement my use case above. Also the CS did not come up with a specific price, so I do not know if I can monitor the 3000 stocks and get specific alert based on my fairly complex criteria. Somebody knows how much would cost, a specific amount? The site between snapshot, waiver really confuses me.

Still more confused Alpaca replied me on their forum that I can have that with 9 eu, while with Polygon I should spend much more money as far as I understand. I really do not get. Please could somebody tell me how much per month I would pay with IB and/or Alpaca and/or Polygon?

2. terr

terr

I don't know how much IB would charge for 3000 simultaneous tickers, but it wouldn't be cheap and may not even be possible (and I would very much doubt that TWS could actually handle that).

Polygon - I doubt you'll be able to get 3000 tickers for the $29 "Developer" sub they show. Next up is a $499 "Advanced" sub but again - don't see how many tickers.

This is an estimate based on our stuff (MedvedTrader). This would be real-time, not 1m candles:

* A subscription to a feed that will get you RT data on the 3000 stocks would be on the order of $200/mo (maybe $50/month with another provider - but we have not finalized things with them yet, though coming soon)
    * A subscription to software that will do the RT monitoring of that data based on as complex a set of criteria as you like - around $20/mo.

murray t turtle likes this.
  3. Ivano

Ivano

@terr thank you very much for the time you spent with your reply and to share the prices. Well I get the point, downloading in rround, but maybe is better if I start with historical 1 day data, that already can do a lot of stuff, then I can set manually alert for the day, via tcs2000,or tradingview, maybe some webhook and have some fun. As I work really hard in a no trading job do not have too much time to monitor scanners, automatizing some procedure would give me some competitive advantage. If I will start to do it for a living then I can invest time and money to get more statistical impact and maximize with 1 minute bars.eal time all the stocks and be responsive to execute or be notified is really expensive, possibly would need more machines with really fast internet connection. As I work really hard in a no trading job do not have too much time to monitor scanners, automatizing some procedure would give me some competitive advantage. If I will start to do it for a living then I can invest time and money to get more statistical impact and maximize with 1 minute bars or using a dedicated service. Maybe should also explore some webhook

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  4. terr

terr

Oh definitely if you don't need real time data you can get away with getting 1d candles from some free sources.

5. jnbadger

jnbadger

Have you looked into Trade Ideas? I can't trade without it. I've been with them for many years, so I'm Grandfathered in at $99 per month for the pro version, so I don't know how much it is now. But to be clear this is a real time scanner with an incredible amount of back testing capabilities. They do have charts, but I'm not that's what you are looking for.

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

7. Daniel.a

Daniel.a

polygon will provide real time 1m data an no limit on symbols same time.. using it myself for same reason,
    Cost is 170 (i think)

8. You mention that you want to monitor 3000 stock tickers. But you don't mention whether you want them all real time. With IB you can get 100 in parallel, and a few hundred more if you have a large account size (few million USD). But you won't be able to get 3000 in parallel.
    However, if you have some clever software you can poll the tickers: get prices for the first one hundred. Then stop those and go to the next 100, and so on. Do this 30 times and you have received prices for all tickers and you can start again from the beginning. If you don't want real time bid/ask prices, but historical trade prices then you can do something similar: requesting the data in batches of 100 tickers.
    To give you an impression: I am requesting historical data for 170 tickers, sequentially (one at a time). I'm receiving 2 years historical data for each of these. This takes in total almost 6 minutes (350 seconds). Extrapolating, it would take 105 minutes to get this historical data for 3000 tickers.

9. traider

traider

You will still be rate limited even with polling because IB also limits your send message rate. That will mean that you can't subscribe fast and unsub fast enough if you have a ton of tickers. Is there a way to get around that?

10. Ivano

Ivano

I did not know this product, but I want to do my own back testing, just for the sake of using python

#10     Nov 13, 2021