How to backtest if you do not know how to code

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Iwilldoit, Jul 2, 2016.

Is it possible to backtest without knowing how to code

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I don't know

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Metamega

Metamega

Is this not manually backtesting?

#41     Jul 4, 2016
  2. You won`t doit without a good deal of quality data(10 years,at least),that`s for sure.Which is only available for a few large institutionals.So forget about it,or connect with them.

#42     Jul 4, 2016

3. @Metamega @userque

ok but is it an accurate method?

#43     Jul 4, 2016
  4. JackRab

JackRab

why don't you pull the OHLC data and return a value from a formula when your price falls within OHLC?

#44     Jul 5, 2016
  5. userque

userque

I can't/won't discuss his specifics, but I believe it is OK, and helpful to mention to the forum that he needs intraday data, and not just EOD data, imo.

#45     Jul 5, 2016
    Iwilldoit and JackRab like this.
  6. userque

userque

It's probably accurate if you're doing it 'right' and not using an instrument like 2x,3x, ETF's to 'generate' your signals.

#46     Jul 5, 2016
  7. JackRab

JackRab

Intraday would be best, but just to see if an exit is/was possible... surely EOD OHLC would be sufficient?

Probably you will need intraday for the setup....

#47     Jul 5, 2016
  8. It does not figure out your system. You place your orders on the chart and it will match trades and generate a performance summary and graphs. So it basically eliminates the need to do any data entry or calculations in Excel.

#48     Jul 5, 2016
  9. Save time from inputting all the data in Excel.

What are you looking for? You asked how to backtest without learning to code. You don't want a program such as this to help you manually backtest the "strategy". You don't want to learn to code so you cannot use the trading platforms created for the purposes of backtesting. Are you just looking for someone to tell you that you should be using Excel and doing exactly what you are already doing? If so, keep up the good work!!!

#49     Jul 5, 2016