How to chart spreads?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by .sigma, Apr 23, 2020.

1. .sigma

.sigma

Maybe @bone can help, but regarding spread trading, mostly options I’m wondering how to chart the trade? Specifically using thinkorswim but I’m open to other ideas.

for example, let’s say I trade the 165/170/175 put butterfly spread in $TLT

How could I view the chart for this specific spread? I’m aware of how to view a chart for a single option, but not for spreads.

thanks in advance, hope this is the right forum

2. ZBZB

ZBZB

3. .sigma

.sigma

I’ll check out those links..

and no it doesn’t have to be historical, it could be currently. Let’s say I put on a butterfly in TLT right now... how could I “view” the price of the butterfly spread in chart form? Fluctuating thru time.
    Basically just how one can see a price chart for a stock, I’d like to see the “price” chart of a butterfly spread.

4. .sigma

.sigma

Not risk graphs, price graphs of the butterfly spread fluctuations

for example this guy would trade calendarized butterflies and displayed the spread on a chart.. 70FB384E-B942-486A-8C4F-EA637D5D163F.jpeg

5. ZBZB

ZBZB

What software is that?

6. .sigma

.sigma

no idea lol.. found it from some post from 2015. Looks dated, but I’m trying to figure out how to chart option spreads (specifically butterflies) of current quotes.

7. easymon1

easymon1

heck if i know, call and ask these guys

11:00 - Noon EST - Fast Market by TD Ameritrade and thinkorswim, Kevin Hincks
    https://tfnn.com/pages/tiger-tv
    Hincks did a lot of onscreen options analysis in past, may still. maybe check for something there? david white might have something too, 2:00 - 3:00 PM EST - The Power Trading Hour with David White. White is computer savvy.
    call or email 'em, what the hell.
    hell yeah 89.jpg

.sigma likes this.
  8. gaussian

gaussian

Doubtful bone could help here. These are options. He's a futures guy.

TD does this implicitly. I believe you can pull up a spread's chart on IB as well. Otherwise you'll be stuck constructing the price from first principles I'm afraid. Luckily if you can afford bulk option data this won't be THAT hard.

.sigma likes this.
  9. arman555

arman555

Check my profile i am looking for exactly the same thing. Problem with TOS is that it charts with something called Mark price. Its highly inaccurate. For example supposedly if you see something oscillating from -50 to +50. If you sell at +50 even if the graph goes to -50 you will still see loss. Because its not the actual BID or ASk graph. Let me know if you think i am wrong and how can we do it.

.sigma and easymon1 like this.
  10. .sigma

.sigma

well it could be applied to futures, for example that chart I posted earlier is a calendarized butterfly in Brent.. which is futures. It seems to me that what I’m asking is very fairly simple to do, yet extremely difficult to find.

I know how to graph an individual options, and watch it’s value fluctuate over time until it expires. So I know it’s possible to add additional legs and view the entire spread in chart form. Thanks for the replies thus far!

#10     Apr 24, 2020