How was Israel created?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RCG Trader, Nov 15, 2012.

1. I started this here because I really want to know, and Googling it leads to hate sites. How did Israel actually get there? Who's land was it before? How was the land acquired, etc.

I have never bothered to read up on it, but I don't want to wade thru all the "zionists" sites.

2. Mav88

Mav88

by the UN after WWII, Stalin himself led the charge

3. link?

What I am reading so far is that the British led this effort, but I would need many more sources for corroboration.

4. Mav88

Mav88

5. hughb

hughb

Also see the Balfour Declaration for the prelude.

And no, I'm not going to give you "link?". If you're too lazy to get it yourself you will have to remain mired in ignorance. :p

6. stoic

stoic

After World War II, hundreds of thousands of Jewish Holocaust survivors and refugees sought a new life far from their destroyed communities in Europe. The Yishuv attempted to bring these refugees to Palestine but many were turned away or rounded up and placed in detention camps by the British. In 1947, the British government announced it would withdraw from Mandatory Palestine, stating it was unable to arrive at a solution acceptable to both Arabs and Jews.

On 15 May 1947, the General Assembly of the newly formed United Nations resolved that a committee, United Nations Special Committee on Palestine (UNSCOP), be created "to prepare for consideration at the next regular session of the Assembly a report on the question of Palestine". In the Report of the Committee dated 3 September 1947 to the UN General Assembly, the majority of the Committee in Chapter VI proposed a plan to replace the British Mandate with "an independent Arab State, an independent Jewish State, and the City of Jerusalem..., the last to be under an International Trusteeship System". On 29 November 1947, the General Assembly adopted a resolution recommending the adoption and implementation of the Plan of Partition with Economic Union as Resolution 181 (II). The Plan attached to the resolution was essentially that proposed by the majority of the Committee in the Report of 3 September 1947.

The Jewish Agency, which was the recognized representative of the Jewish community, accepted the plan, but the Arab League and Arab Higher Committee of Palestine rejected it. The Jews were initially on the defensive as civil war broke out, but gradually moved onto the offensive. The Palestinian Arab economy collapsed and 250,000 Palestinian-Arabs fled or were expelled.

On 14 May 1948, the day before the expiration of the British Mandate, David Ben-Gurion, the head of the Jewish Agency, declared "the establishment of a Jewish state in Eretz-Israel, to be known as the State of Israel".

The following day, the armies of four Arab countries—Egypt, Syria, Transjordan and Iraq—entered what had been British Mandate Palestine, launching the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. After a year of fighting, a ceasefire was declared and temporary borders, known as the Green Line, were established. Jordan annexed what became known as the West Bank and East Jerusalem, and Egypt took control of the Gaza Strip. Israel was admitted as a member of the United Nations by majority vote on 11 May 1949. In the early years of the state, the Labor Zionist movement led by Prime Minister David Ben-Gurion dominated Israeli politics. These years were marked by an influx of Holocaust survivors and Jews from Arab lands, many of whom faced persecution and expulsion from their original countries. Consequently, the population of Israel rose from 800,000 to two million between 1948 and 1958. Between 1948–1970, approximately 1,151,029 Jewish refugees relocated to Israel.

7. Oh my. I am reading that Truman was the first to recognize Israel. So, the United States of America actually created the state of Israel.

This explains a lot.

8. The Balfour Declaration by the United Kingdom's Foreign Secretary Arthur James Balfour was the driving force behind the modern nation of Israel.

What is true though is that very few people at all lived in what is now Israel - outside of Jerusalem, which was important for pilgrims and tourists. The current wave of population growth began when the Ottoman Turkish landlords sold most of their land to European Jews who, because they had access to capital and modern techniques, were able to cultivate it successfully. This attracted many people to work there - including Syrian and Egyptian Arabs. Most Gazans speak Egyptian dialect - Yasser Arafat was an excellent example - most West Bank Arabs speak Syrian dialect.

There is no such thing as "Palestine".

9. I am not being lazy. I am looking for solid links to solid info. This can take hours on Google because this is such a heated topic.

The basement has the best group of researchers news wise of any website going away from what I have seen. I just hope I can get some good stuff before Sameeh sees this. I just want to know why we are mired in the ME.

Why all this drama?

Why can't we just walk away?

But I am beginning to see it now.

#10     Nov 15, 2012