HUD Secretary - Housing will boom forever

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by wilburbear, Jun 1, 2005.

1. CNBC just had on the HUD Secretary Alphonso Jackson. When asked about the housing boom by the CNBC anchor he said there might be pockets of weakness, but the boom will go on in "perpetuity".

2. Did anyone see that piece on CNBC last week or so on people buying real estate in Baltimore? When people are standing in line to buy crack houses (ok maybe just rundown) in places like that it makes me wonder if we must be near a top.

3. ElCubano

ElCubano

yes i saw that....300k for a run down crack house...not bad. you already have tenants...:D

4. We might be near a top. The government's top housing official really did use the "P" word this morning when referring to the housing boom. Perpetuity means "continuing forever".

5. My brother in law just sold a house in baltimore, actually in Towson.

Bought 2 years ago for $250 K, Just sold it last week for $412K.

He put excatly zero dollars into improvments and updates. The hous3 is pretty dated. 1960's kitchen and baths, not excatly in good contidion, and certainly not very nice.

6. lol man

7. If Bush keeps on prining money in perpetuity than maybe the housing market can boom in perpetuity.

8. cnbc has a report on it every hour it seems and they are a great indicator.

9. Oh, thats what it means. I have been searching dictionaries all day. Thanks for clearing that up

:D

10. cmk

cmk

I think that comment is way off. I am frankly disgusted that a person in the position of HUD sec would say something like that.

First off, the new trend for everyone seems to be these zero principal mortgages where everyone is just paying interest on the loans, and no principal. What happens here over time? People own nothing, they have 0 equity, and the bank owns everything. The slightest little change in purchasing habits of customers can disrupt an entire system, banks have way too many hard assets on hand and are forced to drop the price just to get them off of their hands.

The american system of essentially paying "rent" on everything is only going to get worse and force banks into a hard spot when they are owning all the property.

We will see but I am getting nice growth and dividends from some real estate stocks :)

#10     Jun 1, 2005