I think we are living in a computer simulation

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by thecoder, Oct 22, 2020.

1. thecoder

thecoder

I think we are living in a computer simulation.
    Everything (matter and thoughts) is just simulated from Bits&Bytes by a program.
    Who are the operators? AI that overran its creators?

zenlot likes this.
  2. Overnight

Overnight

CaptainObvious and vanzandt like this.
  3. Sig

Sig

There's an interesting paradox there. First, it makes perfect sense that given our rate of technology improvement that in a not so distant future but certainly in the next few thousand years we could make a simulation with fidelity such that participants wouldn't be able to distinguish it from reality. And given the age of the universe and how often life should arise, it seems almost certain that multiple civilizations would have reached that point long ago. But here's the paradox. If even handful did reach that stage and create these simulations, then inside each simulation there would be multiple civilizations that reached the point of creating simulations of equal fidelity. And the civilizations inside those civilizations.... You then rapidly you come to the point that there isn't enough energy in the universe to run all those exponentially nested simulations.

Therefore if we are in a simulation, we'd have to be in one that just happened to be in that incredibly tiny slice of time, compared to the age of the universe, before it rapidly expanded beyond the ability of the universe to support it. And that's far less likely than just being in reality. Even though we established that reality should inevitably lead to the almost certain probability that we're all in a simulation. Hence the paradox.

4. thecoder

thecoder

5. I agree there is a high probability to that theory.
    The irony of ironies is that the markets themselves are just a numerical expression of human consciousness and it`s movement ,( up or down) is dictated by points in spacetime, also consciously created.