IB new forex spreads

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by oktiri, Feb 27, 2005.

1. mokwit

mokwit

"is that as of now there is no way using IB IDEALPRO FX to chart spot FX"

Can be charted realtime (no backfill) with Sierra set to print B/O as trades.

#61     Mar 2, 2005
  2. While I find the tight spreads are great and to me, that sends a clear signal of a broker that is working FOR their clients which is always an asset to any trading business. It is not my primary motivation as a position trader to potentially switching to IB. Of key concerns to me are:
    - 24hr trading on spot - which I hear will be in the near future and from what I have witnessed from IB so far, they are continually improving their products at a fast rate. This is great.
    - liquidity
    - backfill of intraday data (the fact they provide data is a major plus for them)
    - flexible lot size

They almost have all those boxes checked off to satisfy me.

MK

#62     Mar 2, 2005
  3. #63     Mar 2, 2005
  4. def

def Sponsor

we'll soon be moving to 23 hours and hopefully shortly thereafter 24 hours.

charting for FX can be done via the one day backfill that will be made available via the API.

charting for FX via the TWS and ib interactive charts in the next beta release.

#64     Mar 2, 2005
  5. Hey Def,

I'm an IB rookie so please explain to me what the differences are with the charting options you mention? I'm currently with TradeStation but they have annoyed me sufficiently to change brokers.

Possible new solution I am looking at can accept data from IB via the ActiveX socket thing from the TSW API believe. My only concern was getting intraday data that I have missed while I was sleeping.

Apologies if this has detracted from the topic of tight spreads with IB. I'll start a new thread if this is unacceptable.

Thank you.

MK

#65     Mar 2, 2005
  6. def

def Sponsor

The best charts you'll get will be from a third party vendor such as quote tracker (free) to Esignal, Sierra Charts, etc. All of these and other interact with IB's API. As we will be offering 1 day of back fill, charting should be a problem for. You can also use an external source for data to fill the charts.

#66     Mar 2, 2005
  7. Hayek

Hayek

Hi, Steve and def.

Now your customers can trade two fx products in IB, Ideal Pro and Globex FX Futures. How do you compare these two products, their advantages and disadvantages to each other? Thank you.

I post this twice to wait for your answer.

#67     Mar 2, 2005
  8. Certainly Def, I can understand that. My intent was to use the Ensign IB version.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

MK

#68     Mar 2, 2005
  9. def

def Sponsor

Steve addressed this in other threads. Globex offers very tight spreads and has certain advantages over FX spot such as the exchange clearing house being counter party to the trade (we only have large international banks as counter party so that isn't as great an issue).

The FX spot however can be traded in the size you prefer which might offer more exact hedging advantages. You can also use spot FX to due currency conversions. I'm not an expert on FX yet so I think it's best to defer your question to those who trade both. Also fyi, Steve is travelling this week and his ability to post is unknown.

#69     Mar 2, 2005
  10. I would like to trade globex currency futures option, when is IB going to offer this

#70     Mar 2, 2005