IB or Oanda or ????

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by LoosenUp, Dec 5, 2005.

1. traderob

traderob

Have been trying it out this week Def. It is very good, a great service for forex traders.

#51     Dec 28, 2005
  2. fhr999

fhr999

I was talking about pips and not big figure it was 116.95

#52     Dec 29, 2005
  3. Sorry to be off thread here but changed my USD for GBP at a UK bank yesterday and they charged me 1.84 for them - swoon. I could have bought USD for 1.65.

On what trading platform and in what parallel world were those terms being offered yesterday??? :confused:

Or just another instance of online fx trading being a million miles away from the real world.

#53     Dec 29, 2005
  4. hey, u know what? this gives me a good chance to make a point - u were trading with a single MM - instead of with an ECN!! :D

#54     Jan 5, 2006
  5. Don't think either an ECN or MM would have changed my physical $$'s!! :p

#55     Jan 5, 2006
  6. 1. Up Time
    Some currency brokers tend to have a high correlation between extreme market volatility and system outage.

I understand that Oanda has no designated telephone dealing desk other than an off-the-record commitment to close positions only.

For those trading with Oanda, how is their up time? Are they down frequently? Is their a correlation between outages and market volatility?

2. I have seen comments here and there that Oanda conducts price shading based on your positions. I am left with the conclusion that this is in play to a certain extent in the entire FX market.

Any comments on this would be most helpful.

Thanks in Advance

#56     Jan 6, 2006
  7. I have just visited Oanda's Forums under "FXTrade Platform Issues". There are 2 threads that discuss outages today during US NFP data release. Some comments about this being the 2nd US NFP in a row where Oanda has been down.

I called Oanda and they state that only their FX Game was down.

It would be great to hear from some more Oanda traders on this to clarify as there is a clear difference in opinion on the system performance today.

#57     Jan 6, 2006
  8. Lots of problems that happened right at 8:30 when NFP was released on Oanda. It wasn't freely quoting until 8:45 AM, and order entry was hit and miss - sometimes stuck, sometimes kicking out an error (server rejected). I had to log in no less than 4 times this morning. What could have been a fantastic day (had Oanda executed my orders) turned into a decent day.

The above relates to the live server.

#58     Jan 6, 2006
  9. #59     Jan 6, 2006
  10. ECNs, for example, Interactive Brokers, cannot shade price based on your positions, because counterparties do not have access to info re: each other's position when trading through ECNs. This is one of the reasons why it makes no sense to trade through a bucketshop, when one can instead use an ECN.

#60     Jan 6, 2006