IB Support dont know if orders will work for negative Crude oil prices

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by Daniel.a, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Daniel.a

Daniel.a

I really like IB in general, but getting different responses from IB support... some of them says trading negative crude oil future contract will work, some says it will not, have anyone else been able to get a confirmation form IB about this ? and will it work for both IB Gateway and TWS?

Perhaps @def can provide clarity, since support cant ? would be appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  2. ZBZB

ZBZB

IB displayed negative prices on CL the day after it went negative the first time when it froze at 0.0.

3. Daniel.a

Daniel.a

Displayed yes, but this does not tell me anything more than that its displayed. I tried to get a confirmation that it will work as normal. I did not wanted to operate under assumption. The fact that support staff have communicated that it WONT work as of now, and that it WILL work as of now, does make me not want to assume things, but to try to get certainty.

Thanks for input though

d08 likes this.
  4. Have you tried to place an order in TWS with a negative price and then press the "what if" button? (Thus not actually submitting the order)

5. Daniel.a

Daniel.a

No not done that, trying to find a clear answer from IB if it works or does not work. Your proposal will demand assumption again from my side, and this i want to avoid.
    My question is in regards to both IB Gateway and TWS.

Thanks for input though.

What makes me worried here, is that i have will work and will not work, as communication from IB.

6. ZBZB

ZBZB

I put in a buy limit at -13.85 and it went green. I have cancelled it!

RedDuke likes this.
  7. Daniel.a

Daniel.a

Thanks ZBZB, Appreciate input.
    However still does not confirm that trade can be opened and closed.

There are several unknown facts... does IB Gateway accept negative price orders even if TWS does it ? we have seen that earlier version of TWS did not, same thing with IB ALGO? i among other are not using latest IB Gateway version so this question is relevant i think.

Is there any difference between ordertypes, limits, market etc

Also, since we have communication that contradicts each other from IB support, a clear confirmation from IB is needed in regards to this to avoid assumption.

And can positions be allowed to go into negative but perhaps not be opened during negative.

Several unknowns.

Appreciate again all inputs

8. narafa

narafa

This should be enough evidence, negative prices are supported:

upload_2020-4-29_13-51-37.png

9. maxinger

maxinger

good.

how about trying on other products like milk futures, bond, stocks, index futures ...?

10. def

def Sponsor

Yes as shown above negative pricing is supported on TWS. The gateway, as well.

BTW, kicking support is easy but you do realize it is a little difficult to get word out on all items and for all CS staff to read every update on every contract when we offer hundreds of thousands of products around the world. We have CS staff in no less than 10 locations that I can think of off hand as we run 24 hours during the week. On top of that, a large chunk are being forced to work from home and don't have the same level of access they are accustomed.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    #10     Apr 29, 2020