IB Transaction Fees

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by sprstpd, May 23, 2014.

1. sprstpd

sprstpd

So I am not the most observant person, but I noticed today on my IB TWS that when I sell or short stock, I am paying an extra few cents in commission compared to what I'm used to. I've been trading with IB for a long time using their "Flat Rate." I did some research and on their commissions page there is a section under "Flat Rate" called "Transaction Fees." The fees are for sales and are:

I then searched through my daily statements and saw that IB started charging these Transaction Fees starting in September, 2013. Is this news to anyone or was this well broadcasted by IB? I don't remember reading any notice about it but it is very likely that I just glossed over something.

Thanks.

2. d08

d08

I also noticed only recently that commissions are higher than before when comparing with older numbers, seems to have happened very very quietly.

3. lassic

lassic

yea, beginning of the year, 2 or more SPX option contracts were 1.12 per contract
    about a month ago, they were 1.14, now, 1.19 per contract

but i guess they have to make up for that lame anti-hft exchange :)

4. 1245

Every broker charges the SEC Section 31 fee. It is ONLY for selling securities. There should be no buyside fee for this.

5. sprstpd

sprstpd

I agree, but previously IB had always bundled the SEC fee into its commission rate. Now, they have separated it out which is not how it used to be. I'm just curious if they notified anyone before they implemented this change in policy. I would have preferred to know in advance because my trading relies on knowing the exact amount of commission I'm going to pay before entering a transaction.

6. 1245

I can't speak for them. I closed my account there over a year ago. At the time, I was being charge this fee.