Ideal specs for daytrading PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by torewy, Aug 14, 2020.

1. torewy

torewy

Hi all,

I'd be grateful for suggestions for ideal specs for a daytrading PC. I just did an online test of my current PC's speed, and it performed poorly - especially the graphics card. I just upgraded my internet connection to 1,000 Mbps, and would like a computer that has a lot more muscle, although I'm hoping not to spend more than $2500. Thank you.

2. DevBru

DevBru

You don't need 1000 Mpbs, even 10 is plenty.

You also don't need a $2500 desktop, a refurbished desktop that costs around $500 is enough.

I spend $150 on my backup which is a refurbished HP and it does everything perfectly fine, it has an i5 3570 with 8 gb of ram, more than enough for trading.

I do have another system but i also do some heavy photo and video editing, otherwise i wouldn't even have a better PC than the refurbished HP since it would be overkill.

apdxyk, Nobert and torewy like this.
  3. torewy

torewy

For what it’s worth, I use ThinkorSwim and I notice my watchlists are pretty slow in updating.

4. DevBru

DevBru

What are the specs of your current setup?

5. torewy

torewy

Intel i5-8400T, 170 ghz. 32 GB of RAM, and a graphics card that apparently is crap. ;)

6. Metamega

Metamega

been awhile but good chance a lot of that is TOS. Perhaps watch some YouTube videos and compare speed of their setup.

7. DevBru

DevBru

That really should be more than enough for trading!

I am not sure what kind of specs TOS requires but i can run Multicharts, SierraChart or TWS perfectly fine on my refurbished HP without any problems.

Maybe there is another issue going on?

apdxyk and torewy like this.
  8. Atikon

Atikon

assign more ram to TOS

formikatrading and torewy like this.
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

What are the computer specs that your broker state you need (minimum) to operate their trade execution platform ?

wrbtrader

torewy likes this.
  10. when you turn on your system for 1st time in the morning what else do you open up and close, Emails ? Newspapers Forums, FB, Instagram ? All those ancillary items opened and closed eat up performance. Wondering what is your cpu and ram use when it first turns on and then after you open TOS.

#10     Aug 14, 2020
    Overnight and torewy like this.